"Good morning, Elizabeth," Edward says.

Groaning loudly, I ease my eyes open and push myself up. "God, Edward, would it kill you to leave me alone in the mornings for once?"

"Time to get up, Elizabeth. Breakfast is ready." He ignores my comment, waving his hand in a flourish.

"Could you at least get the hell out of my room so I can change in privacy?" I snap, tossing the blankets off my body and jumping to my feet.

His jaw clenches but he nods, silently stepping out of the room and closing the door behind him. "I will be waiting for you out here. Be quick."

Not bothering to respond, I change into the short-sleeved shirt and trudge into the bathroom. I splash cold water on my face and then purposefully take my time in braiding my hair down my back. I pull my boots on and open the door. Edward is red-faced, hands balled at his side. He glances at his watch and shoots me a glare before turning and marching down the hallway. Biting back a smirk, I follow.

"Elle, it's so good to finally see you again," Arden says as I sink into the seat opposite her, placing my tray down at the table in the cafeteria.

I smile. "It's good to see you again too, Arden." Although I wish it didn't have to be here.

"Where have you been?" she asks, pushing her curls out of her face, peering at me curiously.

I press my lips together. "I'm afraid I can't tell you that, I wouldn't want to get you in trouble."

She nods, seeming to understand. "They are beginning a new round of tests today."

"What do you mean?" I stab a mushroom on my plate and place it in my mouth.

"They are determined to find a cure for the Drown, you know, so they are trying new tests every so often. Today, they are starting one."

I stop chewing. "Do you know what the test involves?"

Arden shakes her head. "They have not disclosed any sort of information about it yet. I suppose we will just have to wait."

"I suppose," I say. The prospect of having to wait in suspense for who knows how long until I find out what the test involves sends my heart rate soaring.

The rest of the day passes at an agonising pace. After breakfast, I am sent back to my room where all I can do is lay on the thin bed and dwell on the possibilities that await me. The sunlight strains into the room and my only way of telling the time is watching the light wane across the walls. When there is all but a sliver left on the opposite wall, the door clicks open. Edward's scar stretches as he smiles.

"Surely you have servants who could collect me, Edward," I say, cutting in before he has the chance to speak himself. "Surely you do not need to get me yourself every time."

His brows furrow together and his scar stretches in a different way. "I would do that. However, unfortunately, Elizabeth, you have proven to be untrustworthy. Therefore, I must see to you myself."

My lips pull into a smirk. He cannot trust any of his workers to fetch me because he feels that I would easily escape them. He is not wrong.

"What do you want from me now?" I don't bother to hide my exasperated whine.

"It is time to begin testing. Follow me." With a swish of his hand, Edward spins around and marches down the hallway. Reluctantly, I hop off the bed and follow him, anxious to see what awaits me. Edward leads me down C Hall and through the candidate halls corridor. We turn and pass through the busy main alleyway of the entire building, heading in the direction of Edward's headquarters. Just before we approach Hatchman's headquarters, we turn to a door to the right.