Because the moon was not here today

It was a nice, warm night when we were out on patrol.

I've just recently become a kinouchi and was proud to have become a part of the Hamato family. Well...a part of their friends group at least, I still have a family of my own and live with them. But as it was Saturday night, no one even suspected me to be missing, so those were the times I went out to my unusual friends I like to consider as second family.

I always expect the weirdest or exciting things to happen at those nights (and sometimes even days) but I sure didn't expect Master Splinter to send me off for patrol with Raph after only one day of have become a kinouchi. It was tuff to go on patrol, and especially going out on patrol with Raph and everyone knows it. He is completely out of control every time, ready to fight. Even his brothers questioned Splinters choice, but he just had said: »Trust me! « and then explained as usual, »As always,be back at one a.m.", we had just nodded and then went off in complete silence.

The nice breeze of the New York summer wind caressed my face gently as I was jumping from one rooftop to another. Raph and I were both the slowest out of all of the Hamatos and had both a steady and chill rhythm, which felt good, no one was running after one another, just together.

Suddenly, in the distance, we heard a party on a rooftop. A song I had just recently heard of was beginning to spread over the city as it was blasting out of the stereos. It was a cover by cage the elephant. The song was named "Hole wide world" and I liked their cover more then the original song which was a rare case for me.

Anyways, I stopped on one rooftop, one block away from the party and listened as the song started to play and got excited. A smile was planted on my face and I was grinning like an idiot.

»What'ya smiling at?", Raph asked ruffly after some moments of my thoughts being intermingled with the song
»This song...I love it", I whispered and began to look at him with shining eyes.

His Pov:

I just wanted to bring this night behind me, kick some butt, talk as little as possible to her...but then she just stopped. She stopped our beautiful running rhythm and just began to stare at the distance where a party seemed to be. I know why she was smiling; she liked that song they where playing, and it was nice, but I had asked her anyway, just so I could hear it from her. So she could tell me with her sweet voice and her eyes looking like (y/e.c) stars, which sounds weird, but that's what they are. So now I was looking into those shining eyes. My heart was jumping up and down, I wanted to play cool, roll my eyes in an ignorant matter and just go on with it...but I couldn't. Her eyes hypnotized me and I just couldn't do anything but do this...

Your Pov again:

Raph lifted, where a right eyebrow should be but didn't roll his eyes, grunt or anything that you would expect Raph to do...instead he stretched his hand out, smiling.
»Wanna dance?«, he asked softly. My mouth was wide open and now I was the one lifting an eyebrow.
»Who are you and what did you do to Raphael Hamato?", I asked with a mumbling voice. He laughed
»Well Missy, I like that song too and...It could be that I...you...«, his face got a even darker green and he just rapidly cleared his throat, »never mind...you wanna dance or not?«, I was still buff by all this, but I just nodded slowly and let him take me away.

He took my hand with his strong one, laying the other hand on my waste. I was looking into his deep, dark green eyes, in which, when I get lost in them, he usually yells at me, but not today.
When I try to laugh hysterically, he usually would just roll his eyes, but not today, he just swayed me around even more, let me fly in the air sometimes.

"I'll go the hole wide world, I'll go the hole wide world, just to find her, I'll go the hole wide world, I'll go hole wide world, to find out where they hide her" , they where singing right now, as Raph was joining the distant voices with his one. He wasn't as bad as I had expected him to be (usually, when he was singing in the shower he sounded...like something). His raspy, dark voice made an extreme contrast which actually sounded adorable. But maybe my senses where just covered in the invisible honey of loving.

I felt in this moment, how everything I ever wished for came true. I saw nothing but perfection in front of me. Now matter how much of an asshole he usually was, I saw nothing but beauty in his actions, delicate beauty trying to escape the box of fear to vulnerability. I knew he did this for me...though this should be for himself.
He found himself at my non existent mercy, though it was his fear to overcome, not mine.

»I love you Raph«, I then said.

His Pov:

I was just swaying her around again, when she suddenly yelled »I love you Raph«, which instantly let me stop. I put her on the floor in front of me.

»Wh-what?«, I stuttered. How...

»Would I have danced with you here if I wouldn't? I thank you for that dance by the way...thank you for living this moment with me...But seriously; I know how hard this must be for you. To have such fear of vulnerability. To have such fear to show love, because, oh, besides being different and not accepted by most humans, you where mocked and hurt and ignored, because you felt too much as kid, the reason why they didn't trust you to be the leader. And now that you only seem to have one feeling...anger...everyone seems to be scared of you. No one will even try to think you feel too much anymore, that made you feel safe, but darling here me out...it isn't. Anger will never be safe. Love can hurt, but at least it's safe,because it's everywhere and in each one of us.

I love you, because you are still here, you are not lost yet. You are not lost yet in your anger. You are not lost yet in your dark self, because you are too beautiful, to bright to be consumed by darkness entirely. Please...let me prove that there is someone out there who truly understands you, who loves you, for you.«, she ended her speech and I was just left...stunned. My eyes watered and a single tear like a pearl was running down my cheek...then a second one..and then I cried.

Your Pov again:

He began to cry bitterly, and then smiled.

»How long has it been since I last cried? It must've been years, maybe even a decade...FUCK. WHY...why do you thank ME?! I SHOULD THANK YOU! You stuck with me all this time, even though I was a jerk to you so often. You where at my side when I was angry, even though I hurt you badly because my anger blinded me...but I just wanted you to know how right you are. I was scared you would make me vulnerable 'cause fuck...I love you. You are everything to me. It hurt me every time to see my life before me, like a movie, because in this movie, I am the protagonist and this protagonist hurt the only girl that he ever loved so much, the only girl that would be by his side like that, each day at least once because the protagonist may not be too chicken to fight against anything at all...but he is scared of being rejected because he is scared of admitting his feelings and being vulnerable because he's scared of being rejected?...Does that make any sense?«, he cried laughed.

One second we looked in awe into each other's eyes, then he gently took my face in his hands and smashed his lips on mine and I didn't hesitate a second and kissed back. The sensitive touch felt like an electric wave spreading through my body, letting my heart jump wildly to a music I had forgotten about, but just love, only by thinking of it, because I already know the feeling of that song.
It was my first kiss, but it felt right and familiar at the same time, though everything about it was exciting and new too.

»So...What do you think does the moon look like today?«, I asked him as I broke apart from the kiss
»Like a new beginning«, he answered

Because the moon was not here today...