chapter four

Hey! So this story has strange POVs like i know it starts in third person, but it switches to first person later on. Just wanted to warn you guys so you don't get confused later in the book... I saw the Fault In Our Stars... I started sobbing continously all throughout the movie... I'm in emotional distress and I started sobbing when my dad gave me the ticket stub when we were eating at a local restaurant. My soul is a black hole and I feel nothing but pain. If anyone asks, no. I'm not okay. Unless you're Augustus Waters, I don't want to talk... I'm so sorry for not updating in such a long time... I've been so busy... So, anyways, here you go...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Showing emotions doesn't mean you're weak, it means you're human.
~Anonymous
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nico

Nico sat in his hospital bed, waiting for Percy to come and get him. Percy was out in the lobby, signing him out. Today Nico could finally go back to camp, although he didn't feel as happy as he usually was to go back. He couldn't tell if he felt sad that he couldn't see or terrified about his future. He just felt empty. He couldn't feel anything. He just didn't feel. He looked up towards the door when he heard two sets of footsteps. He could now hear two male voices, one he could tell was Percy's the other was unfamiliar, most likely a doctor. They walked into the room and Nico waited patiently for one of them to start talking. Someone cleared their throat, mostly likely the doctor, judging by the deep pitch of their voice.
"Um, Mr. di Angelo, Mr. Jackson has signed you out and you are now able to go home. We just want to know if you want to do therapy to help your other senses? You'll need them now."
Nico shook his head. He just wanted to get out of this godforsaken hellhole. He was so fed up with people fawning over him, making sure he was okay, that he wasn't depressed or hungry or in pain. He just wanted to leave.
He heard Percy sigh.
"No. He'll be fine without it, he probably wants to leave."
Nico smiled inwardly. Percy knew exactly what he felt all the time. It felt good to have someone like that after he'd lost Bianca. A part of Nico still blamed Percy for that, but the other part knew it was Bianca's choice and Percy had tried to stop her. It still hurt, though. But, little by little, the hurt slowly went away as he spent more time with Percy.
"Hey Nico, you okay? You spaced out." He heard Percy ask. Nico looked up, his face void of expression and nodded.
"I'm fine."
Percy sighed loudly before he grabbed Nico's hand and helped him up out of the hospital bed.
"I hope you have a great life, Mr. di Angelo. Take care." he heard the doctor call after them. Percy guided Nico out of the room, and down the hall. He cleared his throat.
"Nico, I know you're not fine. How are you really?"
Nico looked at him, expressionless, and said "I'm fine." in a monotone.
Percy sighed again and dropped the subject. Nico felt relieved that he did. Nico wasn't really totally in focus. His mind was blank and he couldn't see anything to fill it with.
Percy squeezed the hand he was holding to guide Nico out of the hospital. "Okay, because my car got totaled (Is there one or two l's in that?), and I can't exactly drive with a broken leg. We have two options. A taxi to Long Island, or call my mom and have her drive us. Which one do you want, Neeks?" Percy said, apparently trying and failing to sound happy. Nico knew he was trying to be upbeat for him, but it wasn't working. He sounded slightly constipated.
"I'll have a taxi..." Nico said in a near silent voice, but it seemed like Percy heard him as he hobbled over to the telephone to call for a cab. Nico sat there on the bench Percy had helped him onto and waited for Percy. His mind was blank, no thoughts crossing it as he stared blankly ahead, not being able to see what he was staring at. He heard footsteps to his right and shifted his head in that direction.
"Nico, the cab is here. We have to go." He heard Percy say. He felt Percy's warm hand slip into his and helped him up. He led Nico to the cab and got in after he helped Nico in. Nico sat in the back of the cab, staring at nothing. The darkness was consuming him, as it had already done to his eyes. His mind was blank and he had nothing to think about. He couldn't think of anything as he couldn't see anything to give him thoughts. He felt Percy lay a hand on his shoulder.
"Neeks, this drive will be about an hour. You want to nap?"
Nico nodded, even though he wasn't tired at all, he just needed a distraction. He closed his blank eyes and drifted to sleep, dreaming of nothing but falling in darkness.
     ~~~~~~Time skip~~~~~~
"Nico, Nico, wake up. We're here." Nico could hear a voice calling his name. He didn't want to wake up though. He was so comfy. He felt someone shaking his shoulder. He slowly opened his eyes, expecting to see who was shaking him, but saw only darkness. His shoulders slumped as he remembered why, he was blind.
"Nico, we're at camp. Well, at the border to camp. Come on. Chiron wants to see us." He heard Percy say.
Nico nodded slowly. He got out of the cab, with the help of Percy, and Percy started to guide him into camp. He felt useless and weak, having Percy guide him everywhere, but that's what was needed. He could feel people staring and he could hear the whispers of the other campers.
"What happened to di Angelo?"
"I heard he's blind now."
"You're kidding. How in Hades is he supposed to survive?"
"He probably won't. No demigod that's blind can."
"Yeah. He's as good as dead."
All these whispers were pissing Nico off, but he was too tired to yell at them. He knew they wanted some reaction, most likely for him to burst into tears, but he had no feelings. They were gone. He walked as slowly as he could, Percy slowly guiding him through camp. Percy suddenly stopped.
"Nico, we're at the Big House. There are three steps in front of you. Get ready."
Nico waited for Percy to help him get up the steps. He never spoke a word.
"Okay, Nico, put your foot forward and up." Nico did so and his foot landed on the first step. Percy repeated the instructions until he placed his hand on Nico's shoulder, signaling that he was off the steps. He felt Percy tug slightly on his hand and realized it was time to go into the house. He followed Percy through what he guessed was the door, and through the halls, into the living room, as Percy had said. The only sound was the faint clunk of Percy's cast on the wooden floor.
"Ah, Percy, Nico. I'm so glad you are okay. Please, come in." Nico recognized that as Chiron's voice, and Percy guided him into the room and sat him on a very comfortable chair. Chiron cleared his throat from Nico's right.
"So, we need a plan for Nico. If we want him to survive, we need to have a plan. This is going to be hard for you, Nico, you know that, but I think you'll make it through. You're a strong kid. So, what we're going to do is have a camper help train you by your other senses so you can fight using you hearing, scent and touch. It is harder to do this, so you need to work extra hard. We need to find a camper who will help you." Chiron said.
Percy spoke up.
"I'll do it. I'll help him. I've done it a lot these past few days so I understand how to. Maybe Jason too. He's a good friend of Nico's."
Chiron cleared his throat.
"Okay, so we have the plan set. I guess we will start tomorrow and see how it goes. You may go to your cabins now."
Nico felt Percy stand up and felt his hand slip into his own. He stood up and followed Percy's guidance through the hall and slowly down the porch steps. He felt the stares again and kept his head down, his bangs covering his face. He kept walking with Percy until Percy squeezed his hand, signalling for him to stop. He soon realized he was in front of his cabin. Percy helped him up the steps and through the door.
"Nico, do you need any help with getting changed?" Percy asked. Nico shook his head.
"Just leave the clothes right next to me on the bed." He said with a monotone. Percy sighed but started to shuffle around for clothing, Nico guessed, based on the sound of opening and closing of drawers. He heard Percy set the clothes next to him and waited for Percy to leave. But he didn't. He sat next to Nico on the bed and placed his hand on his shoulder.
"Nico, you don't have to hold all your emotions in. It's okay to let it out. I know this is hard for you. If you want to let it out, I'm right here." Percy said with a soft voice.
Nico's bottom lip trembled. This was the first person to say this to him except Jason. And it was Percy at that. All his pent up emotions came flowing out and he started to sob, laying his head on Percy's shoulder. Percy rubbed up and down his back, his arm wrapped around his waist, pulling Nico into his side. Nico sobbed for all that had happened the last couple days, losing his eyesight, hearing the comments of the other campers, learning that he may not live, just overall everything. Percy hugged him close, whispering sweet nothings into his ear and "it'll be okay" "you'll be fine" Nico slowly calmed down and he felt his eyelids getting heavy. As he drifted to sleep, he whispered to Percy "Thanks, Perce..." and he was gone.