Chapter Sixty - Dauntless

First off, I really can't thank you enough for all of you patience.  This move was crazy, especially when temps got well into the 100s.  So thank you so much for everything.  For your kind words, votes, support, comments, and follows.  It really means the world to know I have such fantastic fans. 

Once again, thank you so much to BarbaraK2U and Depecher for all your help. I really can't thank you enough for all you do.

Tris' POV

I turn, looking at myself in the full length mirror; my hands smooth out any wrinkles in my pants and shirt. The all-black ensemble makes me think I'm in some kind comic book and the only thing I'm missing is a trench coat. Tobias merely needs a fedora to pull the whole look together. My heart can't seem to decide if it wants to stay calm or begin beating out of my chest. It all depends on which thought is running through my mind at any given time.

A soft knock brings me out of my thoughts, and Tobias pokes his head inside the door. "Tris? You almost ready?"

I smooth down the front of my shirt again, then turn away from the mirror. "I am," I respond softly, but even I can hear the unease in my voice.

Tobias comes in, closing the door behind him. His eyebrows pull together in concern as he walks over to me. "Are you ok? Remember, you promised to tell me if you were upset...good or bad," he says gently.

I sigh and press my hand to my forehead. "Yes, I'm just trying not to think about everything that could go wrong if we get caught," I state with a huff, letting my hand fall to my side. "All the lies I've told recently, including the one today when I told Marcus I had food poisoning to get out of his meeting... There's just so much that could go wrong, Tobias," I say breathily, feeling the familiar panic begin to rise once more. "What if someone from his inner circle calls him and tells him I'm at the bank? It could ruin everything. I could ruin this mission."

Tobias comes closer, placing his hands on my shoulders. The simple touch is enough to start calming my racing heart, pushing the hysteria down. "It will be fine, Tris. Don't worry. I'll protect you if something goes wrong." He steps back, opening his black leather jacket to reveal a shoulder holster and handgun.

I gasp, looking up into his face. My previous panic is completely forgotten as a new one replaces it. "When the hell did you get that?!" I whisper-yell at him, afraid my father may hear me.

He smirks, closing his jacket. "What did you think I was doing when you were at the bank? Agent Callahan put me through several scenarios to ensure that I could defend myself and everyone around me," he says, zipping up his jacket. "He put me through the paces, but he said I actually impressed him. He even suggested that once this was done, I should come talk to him about being an agent."

He steps close to me once more, cupping my cheek. "Matthew and the FBI have several contingencies in place since we have to be prepared for every possibility. If it comes to it, I will do anything to protect you," he says sternly.

I nod at his words. I still don't like that Tobias may have to hurt someone who's just doing their job to keep me out of harm's way. It makes me think of Fernando, and my stomach twists uncomfortably as the memory of his death at Eric's hands starts to swim in my mind.

Tobias gently presses his lips to my forehead, pulling me back to the present. He whispers, "Don't worry, Tris. Everything will work out and then we can put this behind us. No more running. No more hiding."

He's about to pull away, but I wrap my arms around his neck to give him another quick kiss, trying to stall the inevitable.

He chuckles against my lips. "Come on. We need to meet everyone at the hotel."