Chapter Forty-Four - Unpleasant Discoveries

I can't thank you guys enough.  You are amazing readers.  Thank you so, so much for all of your kind words and comments.  I love hearing that so many are enjoying this story.  

I can't express enough how much my editors mean to me.  Thank you so, so much Depecher and BarbaraK2U.  This story would only be half as good without your help. 

Tobias' POV

Amar remains inside the large tent, speaking with the other officers. They've been in there for over an hour, so I can only assume they are talking strategy or awaiting orders to see if we can finally liberate the encampment today. With each passing day, we hear more and more news that the war seems to be drawing to a close in Europe, and it sets my insides on fire. Will Tris still be alive when I find her, now that the enemy will no doubt be getting desperate? What if I don't find her? What then?

We are currently just a few miles outside the town of Dachau, and it is taking all of my restraint to not run toward the camp that I know lies just a few miles away. Bombs were dropped two nights ago near the railroad tracks that we are currently following to ensure that the soldiers of Dachau would struggle trying to move any prisoners they have. While I know that it might be saving lives to do that, I feel like we have announced our intentions to the camp. We seem to be practically waving a red flag with our advancement, screaming, 'Here we come!'

Will comes up next to me, looking down the railroad tracks I've had my eyes on for the past hour, the soft light of dawn filtering through the trees to reveal the wisps of fog on the ground. He leans down just enough to scratch Rags' ears, but then stands straight, crossing his arms over his chest, waiting for me to speak. Will sighs when I continue to mutely gaze at the railroad tracks, then looks to me with weary eyes. "What do you think we'll find there?" he asks in a low tone.

I shrug my shoulders, pulling my eyes to his. "Honestly?" I look back down at the tracks, feeling an ominous twist in my stomach as my thoughts go back to Tris once more. "I really don't know, Will. I know I should be concerned for all the people that this is affecting, but all that is going through my head right now is my need to find Tris."

Will looks down, kicking at a stone that skips across the ground in front of us. Both of us follow the rock's path until it hits the metal track with a soft clanging sound, its movement halting. "I'm not trying to destroy your hope here, Four, but do you really think she's still alive after all this time?" His tone is cautious, no doubt waiting for my outburst.

I clench my jaw to keep from screaming, closing my eyes for one brief moment. That question has been at the forefront of my mind with each passing day, gnawing at my sanity and trying to take what strength I have left to keep pushing forward. Could she still be alive? Should I just give up what hope I have of finding her? She's been gone for nearly six weeks now, and I'm just not sure if she could have survived that long, especially if they knew she was a spy.

I feel a wet nose touch my hand, followed by a low whine. I look down at Rags, and he pushes himself closer to me. I lean over and give his ear a quick scratch, feeling some of my sanity return back to me with his simple gesture of companionship. As much as I hate to admit it, the mutt really has grown on me. I sigh, feeling the tension leave my jaw, and turn my eyes back to Will. "All I can do is hope. That's all I have left to keep me going right now," I say, letting out a slow breath.

Out of the corner of my eye I can see Amar, Sparks, and two other men emerge from within the tent, and I turn to see what potential word someone may give to everyone in the camp. I look down at my watch, noting that it's only 0630. Amar scans the encampment, his face solemn. I can see the moment his eyes land on me; he immediately begins making his way toward us through the throngs of men.