Chapter Four - Patience

Thank you so much to everyone that has been reading, commenting, and voting.  You guys make me really push to make my story the best it can be.  I hope you enjoy. 

Beatrice POV

Thanksgiving break has been difficult, knowing Tobias is having to spend so much time alone with his father while I'm around the dinner table with my family, able to laugh and talk freely without wondering if what I say is going to get me in trouble.  I can only imagine what Tobias' dinner is like, and I don't think it's anything like mine. 

I wish my father would have thought to invite Marcus and Tobias, but he was more than likely not informed about the Eatons' lack of family.  Even though it would have been awkward to have Marcus here, at least I would have known that Tobias could have gotten a decent, worry-free dinner out of it. 

Tobias and I have kept the verbal communication to a minimum these past few weeks, but have resorted to a note system to get to know each other.   My day usually starts out by slipping him the note I wrote the night before while we're in the auditorium.  By the end of the day, he slips his response and questions into my locker, making my heart beat with anticipation to get home so I can read it.  Through these notes, I am slowly getting to know him, but also finding that I am falling for him with each passing day; I'm finding it harder to come up with a reason to only see him as a friend.

He has revealed so much of himself in the few lines of information he has given me each afternoon.  His last note told me about the small notebook with his mother's paintings in them.  It's the only possession of hers that he owns; Marcus destroyed everything else that belonged to her in a fit of rage when she left.  Tobias wishes he could paint like her, but Marcus feels that such an act is a waste of time and money.  The way he spoke about her, it sounded like he had mixed feelings about her leaving him here, but I don't want to pry too much into the subject. 

I'm really beginning to loathe everything about Marcus.  While Tobias hasn't revealed terribly much about him, I've garnered enough to know that he is very controlling over every aspect of Tobias' life.  I honestly don't blame him for wanting to join the Marines to get away from him. I just wish he didn't have to leave in order to do so, mostly because it means I'll be left here without him.

**********

Monday couldn't have come more slowly, but it finally did.  I rushed through my morning routine, excitement flooding through me for him to read my next note.  I leave my hair down, pinning it back to keep it out of my face, and put on the first dress my hands land on.  My breakfast is rushed, and I feel Caleb looking at me oddly as I hurry through my meal.

"What's the rush?  You're never this eager to get to school, especially this early," Caleb says through a yawn. 

I swallow my eggs quickly, keeping my eyes down on my plate, trying to think of any excuse as to why I would want to be early other than to see Tobias.  "Oh, I wanted to ask Susan a question about the upcoming dance." 

Hearing the words that just tumbled out of my mouth, I nearly bang my head on the table.  Why did I just say that?  I have no desire to go to that dance unless it's with Tobias, and that's not going to happen.  Caleb is going to see right through this story I've concocted. 

Caleb turns in his chair to face me.  I can feel his eyes narrowing at me, his body tensing for an argument.  "Do you have a boyfriend?"  His voice is serious. 

I look up, rolling my eyes at him.  "Caleb, you are being utterly ridiculous.  Of course I don't have a boyfriend.  I wouldn't date someone that wasn't willing to talk to Dad first, and secondly, I just wanted to ask if James Tucker asked Susan to the dance."  Well, at least some of that was true.  I really could care less if Susan got asked by James, but I need to give Caleb something.