An Angel Called Angel

"Oh no!" Lydia exclaimed, her face reflecting a sentiment of disgust. "This is horrible! And you told me it's tasty!"

"Aunt Lydia, I assure you, it's very good. I loved it," Maddox said, digging into his plate of pasta topped with red tomato sauce and grated cheese.

"I'm sure you are only trying to cheer me up. This new recipe was not a success," Lydia frowned. "It is so bland! Tasteless!"

"Nothing as such! I would not lie to you. Honestly, it's really nice. I will have the leftover for lunch tomorrow morning as well," Maddox said with a smile as he swallowed his food and reached out for the glass of juice standing some inches away.

"Well, I see that you are gulping down your food hastily today and I'm sure it's not because you find it tasty. You seem to be in a hurry," Lydia grinned.

"Not at all. I'm in no hurry," the young guy said, his actions contradicting his words as he quickly stood up from his seat and rushed his empty plate and glass to the sink.

"Leave them there my dear, I will wash them," Lydia laughed at her stepson's weird behaviour.

Maddox wished Lydia goodnight and ran up the stairs to his bedroom. During the whole day he was impatiently waiting for Angelica's reply. Maddox logged onto his Facebook account only to see that there was no message from Angel. He was disappointed once more. He then realised that he has not heard of Deborah as well.

I'm sure her phone is still with her mum and she must have deactivated her Facebook account. But I still can't figure out why her parents were so angry. Why are they preventing us from talking to each other?

Maddox was grieved. What pained him more was the fact that he did not know why things were going this way. He spent two long hours contemplating over the issues he was facing. On one hand, he badly wanted to talk to Deborah. He missed her. On the other hand, there was the message sent by Angelica. That message which made him gasp out of happiness but then, she was not replying anymore.

His thoughts were interrupted by a beeping sound, followed by a second one. Maddox knew that these meant that he had received messages.

"Maddox? Is that you?"

These were the messages appearing on the laptop screen. They were from Angel. The messages made Maddox realise something which did not come to his mind before.

Oh no! How could I forget this? Angel did not know that I was the one behind the name 'Mad Cow'. It means that when she was sending the previous message saying 'Hello', she did not know it was me.

These thoughts saddened the young boy. He was disappointed, yet, he went on to reply to his friend.

"Yes Angel. It's me."

The few minutes that went by seemed long for the impatient young guy. But then, the lengthy reply that came from Angel was worth the wait.

"Maddox, you may not believe me, but the truth is that I have activated my Facebook account after so long just because I was missing you and Deb badly. I had no way to contact you people. But I cannot find Deb on Facebook anymore! I don't have many friends on Facebook. So, I managed to ask all of them if they have Deb's contact number but in vain. Then, I decided to send a message to 'Mad Cow'. I don't know why, but since the beginning, I felt it was you. That day when we met at the park, Deb was saying that the person using this account has uploaded the photo of a cow and at that moment I saw a weird look on your face which somewhat made me doubt that it was you using that Facebook account. And today, I have been proved right. I am so glad that I am finally chatting with you!

And regarding your message seeking forgiveness, my dear friend, I have no grudges against you. I completely understand your plight. I know how you must have felt when my dad insulted you. Perhaps I'm the one who need to apologise to you on my dad's behalf. I'm sorry for everything you went through."

Maddox felt a surge of emotions in his chest as he read her words. He was glad that Angel forgave him. That night, Maddox and Angel spent hours chatting with each other, catching up for the long time they had not heard from each other.

The clock ticked midnight. Yet, they still had much to share. The young guy told his blonde friend about the relationship he now shared with Deborah. He also told her about the fact that for some unknown reason, Deb's parents were preventing them from talking to each other.

"Maddox, don't worry. Maybe this is the reason for which I felt the need to get in touch with you today. Maybe I can help you and Deb! Give me her phone number. Her parents will surely allow me to speak to her, right? I will call her tomorrow."

"Angel! You are indeed an angel! Thank you so much!"

Maddox went to sleep after having given Deborah's phone number to Angel. He felt relieved and was impatiently waiting for the next sunrise as it would bring him news of his beloved girlfriend. Yet, from time to time, he would open his eyes and check his Facebook messages again to see whether he had really been in touch with Angel or whether it was a mere dream. At times when the reality seems too good, it feels like a dream - unbelievable.