Because Love is Stronger than Hatred

My dear readers!
It has been such a long time I haven't heard from you! Errr, or maybe you haven't heard from me!
Well, I'm really sorry for the delay in updating. My parents have been absent from home. They were abroad and I had huge responsibilities to shoulder. 😟
Well, here I am with a new chapter for you!
But before we embark on the new chapter, let me make a brief recap of the story to bring you back on track!
*****************
~So far, we have been reading the story of Maddox who has lost his twin sister, who was also his best friend, when they were both six years old.
Maddox then found in his mother, a new best friend. His father, on the other hand, a cruel unfaithful man, has been making Maddox's and his mum's lives miserable.
Few years later, Maddox lost his mother who died of leukemia and he came to know that his sister also died of the same disease.
Maddox was then forced to live with his father in his rich stepmother's house. He hated his stepmother until the day he felt pity for her due to the atrocities his father made her live through.~
*************
In the gloominess of his room, Maddox sat on his bed pondering upon the expression on his father's face when the latter reached home and saw Maddox and his stepmother having dinner together. Maddox recalled his pale blank face which, in a matter of seconds, turned blue in anger and confusion.

At that moment, Evan did not ask any question nor did he utter any word. He disappeared into his room and did not come out until Maddox and Lydia completed their meal and parted ways after having greeted each other 'goodnight'.

That night was a usual one but with a pinch of happiness and relief in Maddox's heart. A feeling he did not understand. A feeling he could not explain.

Usually, Maddox could not find sleep because of his pains, his hurtful memories or because of the hatred he felt for the two persons living along with him in that lifeless concrete box. On that particular night as well he could not sleep, yet, the reason was something else. An unexplained reason.

Why am I feeling awkward tonight? What is this strange feeling?

His thoughts were turned into words when he saw Deborah online. He immediately started chatting with her to share the strange feelings that were keeping him awake.

"Deb, I don't even understand why I'm feeling like this," Maddox typed, for the third time saying the same thing.

"But at least tell me how you are feeling! You keep saying you don't understand why you are feeling 'like this', but what does 'like this' mean?" Deborah asked.

"I don't know," the confused guy replied.

Deborah: "Oh God! Ok, ok! Just tell me, is it a positive feeling or a negative one?"

Maddox: "Positive."

Deborah: "Oh! Great then! Now tell me, what has happened today that may have made you feel this way?"

After a minute of reflection, Maddox answered, "Nothing special. Just that I have spoken to my stepmom and I came to know that she is not as bad as I used to think."

Deborah: "Really? That's great news! And what happened then?"

Maddox: "I forgave her for what I felt she did wrong."

Deborah: "Oh! This is why you are feeling happy man! This is it! Forgiveness! Forgiveness is the key to a light heart, a sound sleep and a happy life!"

Maddox: "Wow! Great words, Deb! From where do you phrase such wise words?"

Deborah: "Well, this is what Angel used to say whenever I would pick up a fight with people."

Maddox: "I knew it! I knew such words cannot come from you."

"Why?" asked Deborah, perplexed.

"Well, don't make me say the bitter truth," Maddox typed, smirking at the laptop screen.

"Maddox! Mad Cow! Do you think I'm so stupid?" Deborah typed, trying to figure out what Maddox was insinuating.

"No, honestly I don't think you are stupid. Thinking is value judgement. Thinking is an opinion but you being stupid is a fact! So, I don't think you are stupid. I'm sure you are!" Maddox typed, chuckling and waiting for Deborah's reply. He knew that she would get angry but he liked teasing her.

Deborah: "Mad Cow, don't chat with me again! I'm going!"

Maddox: "Hey! Deb! I was kidding. I'm sorry."

Deborah: "Ok. Forgiven. But I got to go. I'm going out with my parents and my elder sister. I will chat again soon."

Maddox: "Going out so late? Ok, chat soon. And please, let me know if you have any news of Angel."

Deborah: "Yes. Sure."

After his long chat with Deborah, Maddox tried to sleep but again he could not as he was thirsty. He walked out of his room to fetch some water. Upon approaching the kitchen, in the faint light, he saw Lydia sitting by the table and his father was standing and shouting words of hate. From Evan's words, the teenager could make out that he was still furious after having seen him and Lydia having dinner together.

"What did you think? With some tears you would win over Maddox? And then what? You will turn into a mother?" Evan yelled.

"What's your problem Evan? Just explain to me what's your problem if I get on good terms with Maddox? You cannot love people and you hate to see other people loving and caring for each other?" Lydia retorted amidst her tears.

"Stop this love drama!" Evan shouted, "You mean to say you love Maddox? I know very well that you don't love him. You always only pretended to do so in order to win over me. Or maybe you are doing this to fill in your lack. Because you can never be a mother yourself! And, and what do you think? That so called love of yours will win him over? Maybe that brat only pitied you. You can never win his love."

Lydia stared blankly at Evan's face, wondering whether the man she used to love has changed into this evil being or whether he has always been such a person and that she failed to see it before.

"There's a God up there who knows everything," Lydia said calmly. "He knows what's in every heart. He knows who is pretending and who is not. To God we do not need to prove anything. He already knows. And He will help me in winning Maddox's heart one day. Love will surely win. Because love is stronger than hatred."

"Oh really? What's love after all? Just a stupid feeling that drags you into all sorts of problems. And yeah, if love can win as you claim, why couldn't it ever win over me?" Evan laughed sarcastically.

"Yes, you are right. Miranda's love couldn't win over you, my love couldn't win yours, your children's love didn't soften you. But you know what? The problem is not with love. The problem is with you," Lydia said as she stood up and left the kitchen without noticing Maddox loitering in the dark, listening to their conversation unwillingly.

Days and months went by. Mrs Lydia and Evan kept drifting away from each other while, on the other hand, Maddox and Deborah kept coming closer. Maddox's life was taking a new turn. But only God knew whether that new lease to life would finally bring him happiness or was it just another test?