Angry Lady

"What on earth are you doing here?" Deborah blurted out.

"I just came over to meet a friend of mine," Maddox winked, his pale brown eyes shining with mischief as he scratched his head.

"Oh! Is it? Don't try to act smart!" Deborah snapped as she rolled her eyes.

"What does this mean?" Maddox asked, rolling his eyes as well to mimic his friend's gesture.

"I know who is that friend of yours, and I also know that she doesn't want to speak to you!" Deborah answered, pouting her mouth and folding her arms, pretending she was angry.

"My dear angry lady, I guess you are mistaken. My friend is on really good terms with me and we have already had a great time chatting over a cup of succulent tea and some awesome fritters!" Maddox said sarcastically as he sipped over his tea.

The startled brunette squinted her eyes, trying to figure out what the young guy meant. But then she decided to ask him directly,  "Since when do you have another friend here?"

"Since like... fifty nine minutes and thirty six seconds," Maddox replied, glancing at his wristwatch and pretending to make some kind of complex calculation.

"Do you mean that your newly found friend is my mom?" Deborah asked as she noticed her mother sharing an amused look with Maddox a few seconds before they burst out laughing.

"Correct! You had to scrape your little brain so much to know this! My poor Deb!" Maddox grinned.

After their silly argument which seemed funny to Deborah's mum, the two friends went out for a walk to sort out their differences.

"I'm honestly sorry, Deb. I know I should not have ruined the cute little birthday surprise you prepared for me. I don't know how to make up for that. But I swear, I regret having behaved like that," Maddox kept apologising to Deborah after having shared with her the reason for which he hated celebrating his birthday.

"You don't need to apologise Maddox," the young brunette uttered in a voice filled with grief. "I'm the one who must say sorry. Please forgive me for having caused you pain."

"You are not at fault. I should have told you beforehand that I don't celebrate my birthdays. Had I done so, it would have saved us from all this," Maddox said regretfully.

"Dear, we were both partly at fault and we have both admitted it. I am glad that we are talking to each other once more. Now, let's try to forget about this incident," Deborah said, her usual huge smile illuminating her face.

Maddox felt relieved seeing his friend regain her good mood. He told Deborah how worried he was when the latter was not talking to him. "You know I even found myself surfing around the internet in search of stuff like 'how to pacify an angry girlfriend', can you imagine?"

Deborah's eyes widened below her raised eyebrows as she listened to Maddox who then stopped talking and stared at her in astonishment.

"What happened?" Maddox questioned. "Why does it look like you have been struck by lightening?"

"Can you repeat what you just said?" the astonished brunette asked.

"I asked you why do you appear shocked? It looks like you have been hit by a streak of lightening," the young guy repeated naively.

"No, I mean, before that! What did you say before that? What were you looking for on the net?" Deborah questioned impatiently.

"Oh! I wanted to know how to pacify an angry girlfriend," Maddox said.

"Oh my God! Girlfriend?" Deborah blushed.

Upon realising what he just said, Maddox felt his cheeks heating up, but he still did not want to miss the opportunity to tease his friend, "Yes! But why are you blushing? Don't tell me you thought it was you! I can have another angry girlfriend somewhere, right?"

"Shut up, Maddox!" Deborah shouted, trying to hide her disappointment. "You just said you were upset because I was not speaking to you and that's why you were searching for such stuff. Now don't say it was for someone else!"

"Angry lady! Ok, ok! Now don't make up ideas! Girlfriend means a friend who is a girl, right?" Maddox burst into a fit of laughter.

"Whatever!" Deborah exclaimed as she walked ahead angrily with Maddox following her, trying to coax her.

This was their daily routine, at one moment they were laughing and kidding around and the next moment they were teasing each other and arguing. Yet, one day, amidst one of their arguments, something unexpected happened.
***************
This was quite a short chapter. The next chapter will bring a new turn to the story.

I would like to know your opinion. What do you think will happen next in the life of our dear Maddox? Please comment! :)

And I'm also seizing the opportunity to wish my muslim readers "Ramadan Mubarak".

Awaiting votes, comments and suggestions from all my readers! Thanks for all the encouragement so far!

With love,
Zohra (Zumee).