Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 6

The air in the house was too thick, Indigo had to get out of there. She snuck off once Harrison stole the attention with one of his many kitchen mishaps. He was a sensational backer, but a lousy cook. Once away from the crowd of neighbors, siblings, and friends, she slipped out of her boots and let the cool grass massage her feet.

She sought refuge in her favorite place at Tate's house, the fire pit. The alabaster gravel pricked her bare soles as she dragged the match quickly across the brick and threw the spark onto the charred logs. The spark kissed the bark and ignited a flame that brightened the night. She slipped back in the Adirondack chair and let the fire hypnotize her with its dance.

Indigo's heart was doing this weird thing. It flooded her psyche with fond memories she tucked in the back of her mind. The most prominent thought that popped in her head was the first time she visited that very property.

******

Pungent ragweed blanketed the brisk spring breeze as she held down her sundress after the Marilyn Monroe moment she had after stepping foot out the car. She bit on her nail, looking away from Tate's eager eyes.

"I don't know." She stopped nibbling on her nail. "Don't you think this house is too big?" She threw her arm up, gesturing to the two-story brick house. "Four beds, four bath. Three-car garage." She rolled her eyes over to him. "I mean, that's a lot of rooms to fill."

"You'll help me." He nonchalantly shrugged, then gave her a pleading look. "Right." He bumped her shoulder with his. "Bestie,"

Indigo exaggerated the impact of his hit, leaning over more than needed. "I guess." She playfully rolled her eyes at him, then let a contented smile claim her face. "You know... if I'm about to waste hours at Bed Bath & Beyond and Pier 1 for you, then you have to do something for me."

"I'll wash your car for a month." Tate meandered over to the fire pit. "And..." He turned around, squinting as the sun leaked into his eyes, thinking hard on what else he could offer.

"And have dinner with me... and," Indigo scratched her scrunched nose trying to relieve the itch her allergies brought on. "Corey."

The blood drained from Tate's face as he stared at her.

"Please." She begged with a sniff.

Tate shook his head with his mouth agape.

"Come on!" She stomped her sandaled foot, crushing the grass. "Isn't it about time ya'll got over it?"

"No." He founded his voice but wasn't the word Indigo wanted. "I can't stand him and you just need to get over it and move on."

"Just get over it and move on." She repeated his words as she flung her hands up. "I want my best friend and boyfriend to get along. I don't understand why ya'll can't just get over it. I mean... yes—" She dropped her head, a smidge lowering her voice. "He broke the neck of your cello... but it was middle school." She slapped her sides, frustrated. "We're adults. Let's act like it?" She tugged at his arm. "With a dinner party."

Tate pouted at her doe-eyes, "I'll... try."

******

A familiar redolence hovered in the still night air interrupted Indigo's quiet time. She peeled her eyes open and took in the sight of the approaching form.

"Hiding?" Tate pulled his hands out his pockets as he stepped onto the gravel.

Indigo pushed up her eyebrows as she watched him slowly sit on the edge of the chair, "Not anymore."