Chapter 61: Do-Over

Chapter song: Love - Lana Del Rey

Brett

Bouquet of roses in hand, I knocked twice on the door to Becca's apartment. I tried to wipe the goofy grin off my face but I couldn't. I had been smiling like a damn fool all day.

Tonight, I was going all out. I was aiming for jaw dropping perfection and would settle for nothing less. Our first date at the movie theatre had been interrupted and just like her first kiss redo, Becca deserved the best.

I raised my hand to knock once more when the door opened and I almost forgot how to breathe. Standing in front of me was the most beautiful person I had ever seen.

"Hey gorgeous ..." My voice trailed off as I took a second to actually look at her.

My eyes instantly went to Becca's face as she chewed nervously on her bottom lip. Her blond hair looked like it was made of starlight as it hung loosely over her shoulders. I wanted to reach out and run my fingers through it.

I could feel my mouth hanging open in awe as my eyes traveled down her body. Her dress ... that dress. It was the colour of her eyes, the colour of the early morning sky just as the sun was about to rise. It hugged every dip and curve of her body like second skin.

I pulled my eyes away and met Becca's gaze. She was smiling shyly, fidgeting with the hem of her dress as she watched me watch her.

I had to breathe deeply to steady my heart. Her baby blue eyes ... I wanted to drown in them.

"Are you just going to stand there?" She teased, mocking my inability to form a damn sentence.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"I believe your exact words were," she cleared her throat and deepened her voice as she mimicked me. "'Cat got your tongue?' When you kissed me that first day in the hallway and I was the speechless one."

She was smirking at my disheveled state, definitely enjoying every second of having the upper hand.

I blinked, swallowed my damn nerves and mustered up the courage to say something. Anything.

"Holy shit," was what my brain managed to come up with. Becca chuckled and I groaned, rubbing my fingers over my eyebrows.

"How charming," she teased, leaning her hip against the doorframe.

"You look amazing." My eyes gave her another once over as she continued to watch me, amused. "Like, really fucking amazing."

I hated myself for not being able to conjure up another adjective to describe her but my brain had apparently turned to mush in the presence of this girl.

Becca laughed and I felt the warmth of that sound spread through me. "You look really, ugh, freaking amazing, too."

Freaking. I almost forgot my baby doesn't swear.

I grinned happily as I saw the way her face lit up when I handed her the bouquet of roses.

"These are beautiful," she breathed, holding the bouquet up to her nose as she inhaled.