Chapter 39: Heartbroken

Brett

My phone continued to ring as I pulled into the hotel parking lot. Not even that annoying sound could wipe the smile off my face. I had finally told Becca that I was in love with her and I was currently floating on cloud nine.

I killed the engine and picked up my phone, curiosity getting the best of me. The screen lit up, displaying that I had five missed calls from my mom.

I knew I should answer, my mom never calls me unless it's an emergency. For once, I didn't care. Calling her back and inevitably listening to her speak about my father would kill the good mood I was in.

I just wanted to go inside, lay in bed and think about the girl I was in love with.

Love.

Damn, who would've fucking thought.

A smile returned to my face as I thought about Becca. I wanted to keep feeling this forever so I put my phone on silent and shoved it into my pocket, pretending that the missed calls from my mom didn't exist.

I walked inside the building that was beginning to feel like home. Everything about this lobby was becoming so familiar to me. Becca and I had shared so many memories here that the thought of leaving and returning home someday soon didn't appeal to me.

I had no memories at my house with Becca, but this place was full of them. It was as if I could feel her presence in the air or the weight of her hand in mine as we walked through this hallway so many times.

I turned the corner and I could even imagine her standing at the door to my room, waiting for me to -

What the hell?

I had been so lost in thought that I didn't even notice that there was someone standing at my door, a petite woman who I'd recognize anywhere.

"Mom?" I called, confused. What was she doing here? She knew I was at this hotel, but I never told her the room number.

She turned around quickly and I was struck by her appearance, I could see the heartbreak written all over her face. Even from down the hallway, I could see the pain radiating off her. Red eyes, messy hair sticking to her face, she was even wearing sweat pants. I didn't even know she owned sweat pants.

My mom didn't have to tell me why she was here, or why she had called my phone over and over. The answer was clear, because this was a sad routine in my life.

He left, once again. Breaking my mother's heart and expecting me to clean up the pieces. But how many times could you break someone's heart until it couldn't be broken anymore? Until it was damaged beyond repair?

I ran to my mother, as I always did. I hated seeing her like this, I hated that my father had the power to do this shit to her. She began to cry as soon as I wrapped her in my arms, holding her delicately to my chest as the sobs rocked her body.

"He's gone," she cried, her tone one of sadness and disbelief -- which is what killed me the most. That even after all this time, she was still surprised when he left her.

"It's alright, Mom. It's going to be alright." I kissed her forehead before pulling away to open the door to my room.

My mother's hand clutched around my arm,
holding onto me so strongly as if I were her anchor in all this mess. I guided her into my room, flicking on the light switches before leading her over to the couch -- the couch I had just sat on moments ago, when I told Becca that I was in love with her.