Chapter 34: Beautiful

Please take a moment to tap the star and vote! <3

Becca

As soon as Jenny pulled out her phone, I already knew what was on it: photos of Parker and I from his parent's gala on the weekend. For a brief moment, I could already imagine the fight it would cause between Brett and I and I felt numb with horror. But then I remembered that I had nothing to hide. Nothing happened between Parker and I at the gala, those pictures could only possibly portray us smiling at each other. Nothing else.

I had no idea how Jenny was going to try to spin the story to make it seem like I was with Parker, although I didn't doubt her ability to do just that for a second, but none of that mattered. Brett's refusal to listen to her lies, to fall into her trap, showed me how much he was trying in our relationship -- trying to suppress his anger, his jealousy, and instead focus on us. He wasn't going to let Jenny skew his thoughts any longer. 

It felt as if Brett and I were finally on the same page for the first time since I met him. Our relationship seemed to be falling into place while mine and my mother's was falling apart. I needed to speak to her to sort out these living arrangements before she left for her business trip tomorrow morning.

Brett gently tapped on my forehead with his finger like he always did when I was lost in thought, bringing me out of the depths of my mind that I seemed to occupy more frequently lately. My gaze focused on him instantly, as it always seemed to do. We were sitting outside for lunch at our usual table, the sun blazing down and dancing across Brett's face. His hair was shining in the sun, golden strands illuminated against the light brown. His blue eyes seemed crystal clear, watching me with the intensity they never lacked. The stubble on his jaw was more apparent than ever, just how I liked it.

He arched one eyebrow up amusingly and smirked at me before tapping my head again.

"I think I know what has your mind so preoccupied, Becca." He said. The look on Brett's face made me not even want to ask what dirty thought was floating through his head.

I took a deep breath and bit the bait. "And what's that?"

My eyes studied his face, taking advantage of the opportunity to just look at him. He was truly something else. 

"You're thinking about what I look like naked." He said easily with a straight face, completely catching me off guard and making me laugh out loud. He had no idea how wrong he was.

Surprisingly, Brett in the nude was something I tried not to think of. Simply because it scared the crap out of me in the best way possible.

I rolled my eyes dramatically once the laughter suppressed.

"One of these days your eye is going to get stuck like that," he said seriously.

"Would you still like me if it did?" I teased.

He nibbled on a fry thoughtfully for a moment, pondering my question. "Brett!" I yelled, laughing at his hesitation. 

"Of course I would still like you, Becca," he said gently. His voice faltered on the word like and he looked away from me quickly. 

I reached across the wooden table and held his hand in mine, rubbing slow circles on his palm. A smile appeared on his face and he returned his gaze to mine.

"I think you're beautiful. You know that, right?" Brett said suddenly, his voice urgent.

He had never said those words to me before. I always assumed he found me attractive for some unknown reason, but hearing him say it made a familiar warmth spread throughout my body. I could feel my cheeks turning pink. I smiled at him and squeezed his hand.