Chapter 25: Strangers

Chapter song: A Drop in the Ocean - Ron Pope <3

Becca

Parker opened his eyes slowly, squinting as he stared at me. Then, he smiled. His teeth were a bloody mess, his entire face stained with dry blood.

"Your boy can punch, that's for sure." Parker said, laughing as he reached up to touch his nose, then wincing at the pain when his fingers came in contact with his skin.

He was laughing. His entire face was covered in blood, the bone in his nose sitting at a strange angle, most definitely broken, and Parker was cracking jokes like nothing ever happened.

"I'm so sorry, Park. I don't know why he did that..." I trailed off, thinking back to the anger on Brett's face as he lunged at Parker.

I was still stunned by the entire situation. I didn't understand what happened, what made Brett completely lose his mind. Did he find out about mine and Parker's plans this weekend? But who would have told him, the only people that know are-

I looked up suddenly, my mind putting the pieces together quickly.

"Jenny," I breathed, realization hitting me. She told Brett, that was the only explanation. "That's why she was so happy..." I trailed off, my mind connecting all the dots. I knew I was right.

Parker watched me quietly, his eyebrows drawn down in confusion.

"What are you talking about?" He asked. I snapped my attention back to him and his swollen face. Jenny did this to her own brother just to spite me.

What the hell is wrong with this girl? I thought, struggling to understand how someone could be so cruel. So selfish.

How was I supposed to tell Parker what I knew for certain. Would he even believe that his own sister was capable of this? That she would risk her own brother's safety just to turn Brett against me?

But the question that burned the brightest in my mind was: how did Brett buy into her crap?

He actually believed her...believed that I would, what, go on a date with Parker? But it didn't matter. Nothing could justify what Brett just did. Nothing.

Parker was still watching me, waiting for a response.

"Nothing," I replied, looking away awkwardly as I shook my head.

"Becca," his voice was stern as he grabbed my chin, turning my head back to his. "What are you thinking?"

I took a deep breath and met Parker's eyes, not wanting to tell him what I realized.

"I think..." I began, struggling with the best way to word what I was about to say. "I think Jenny did this, Parker. I think she told Brett about our plans this weekend...that's why she was so eager to convince me to come. I should have known something was off that very second."

I watched him closely, waiting for him to respond. He titled his head backwards so it was resting on the locker behind him. He closed his eyes for a moment, then opened them while letting out a long breath.

"Dammit," he breathed. I knew he believed everything I told him. "Can you help me up?"

I nodded. I stood up and grabbed Parker's hand, pulling him up to his feet as he held his back in pain from where it slammed against the locker.

"I'm sorry," I said again, feeling helpless, guilt crushing me like a ton of bricks.

"Not your fault," he said, dismissing my apology with a wave of his hand. He was hunched over, his arm bent behind him as he rubbed his back. I placed my hand on his arm to support him. "Help me get to my car?" He asked, wincing again when he took a step.