Chapter 15: Yato's a BIG Help with the Job- Part 1

-(Y/n)'s POV-

Instead of finding Yato and Hiyori, we went separate ways to our own places where we each got an earful about how worried they were about our disappearance.

Currently in my room so I could "reflect on my actions" as Hiyori put it, I wasn't entirely alone. I had my jumbled thoughts. I flopped onto the bed face-first and let out a groan.

Is Yukine in a similar situation? Does he see me differently? Did I ruin anything that could have happened between us? Why can't I stop thinking about how he turned away from me?

I pushed myself up until I was kneeling on the bed and shook my head vigorously. "I can't give up! He will fall in love with me!" I said with more positivity than I felt.

Time to pull another all-nighter! Before I knew it, I yawned. It was the kind of yawn that lasted longer than you'd like it to and made you want to do anything to avoid doing it again.

On second thought, sleep first, plan later.

(Time Skip)

Yato came running, dragging Yukine along with him, and a grin plastered on his face.

"Can't you wait to do your first job, (Y/n)?" He exclaimed.

I tilted my head to the side, "Huh?"

(Time Skip- author-chan is really lazy)

It turned out that the job was babysitting an eight-year-old for a whole day. Even though I didn't have the time to devote my full attention to a kid, I tried to think of the positive effect this job might have on my relationship with Yukine.

"This is Mather, he's the kid you're– we're watching!" Yato introduced.

Mather was average height for an eight-year-old. His eyes were dark blue, and his hair was black.

"Yato," I called out while playing a round of Mario Kart with Mather, "You know you should be getting paid more than 5¥ for your services. You might actually be able to get a shrine in the near future if you do."

Before he could reply, he got a call. "Hello there! Fast and affordable, delivery god Yato at your service!"

There was a pause.

"I'll be there ASAP!" Then, he ended the call. "Sorry, gotta split! You two will maintain the fort! By the way, in an hour, you two will have to take him to his school and pretend to be his parents for a conference since they can't attend!"

"What?" I yelled, "You want us to help you with WHAT?" But Yato had already teleported his ass away.

I glanced at Yukine, our faces were both pink. "I think we better get ready if we're going to pull this off..." Yukine said, taking a keen interest in his shoes.

"Yeah..."

(Time Skip)

-Yukine's POV-

Yato was in for a load of pain for the next two hours of fill-in parenting he shouldered onto (Y/n) and I. My heart was beating way too fast for it to be normal.

(Y/n) and I rummaged through Mather's parents' closet for clothes to wear. It was bad enough that we were both in a tight space, but what really set me off was the occasional bumping of our arms or touching of our hands.

By the time we finished putting together our outfits, I felt like I was going to die. Most of the clothes that Mather's parents left behind were business style, so I wore a crisp white buttoned shirt with black work pants.

"I'm done," I heard (Y/n) call from the master bedroom. When she entered the living room, I felt my heart beat quicken.

Her (h/l) (h/c) hair was tied up in a knot, and the (f/c) tight dress that she wore wrapped around her figure well. The black heels made her taller and gave me a good view of the pale pink lipstick covering her lips and the gray eyeshadow that made her eyes seem brighter. (Y/n)'s cheeks were a shade of red– but that was probably just the makeup.

-(Y/n)'s POV-

I couldn't help but feel embarrassed. Yukine was staring at me and I squirmed under his gaze. "We should go..." I said.

He didn't respond, so I called out to him, "Yukine-sama?" He stumbled back as if I'd hit him and collapsed on the couch.