Chapter 26

Annika

"He has agreed to meet," Khotaline announced as they all convened in the council room once more.

"This is a mess!" Doruqa exclaimed. Her eyes were replete with objection. Annika knew this was something more than potentially dangerous, and it would understandably make the woman apprehensive.

Brexon's expression was cold and stern. "Where?" Annika could not begin to imagine how he felt; literally, because his face gave away nothing.

"The Black Plains. And he advised you to not come alone and to in fact bring your army," Khotaline bitterly said. Her hair was up in a messy bun and she was sporting a tight white shirt with flowing grey pants. Something was off about her, but Annika could not put her finger on it.

"Anybody stop to think this is a tactic to lure the main protection from the city?" Inferno chimed in with a stress weighing down on her shoulders. They were all in a situation that was prone to make everyone less upbeat.

"Of course," Rouhem responded, "but this is a perfect opportunity to teach Zyhed a lesson, and if not him, then maybe the Might Empire's people?" His eyes were enflamed with a terrible and destructive rage. Annika took ahold of Soren's hand and intertwined their fingers. He gave no reaction except squeezing her hand in reassurance.

"This is heavily uncertain," a voice cut in lightly. Everyone turned their heads to see Mave walking in, dressed in common dark clothes. There was a sweat on his brow and he seemed more tired than expected.

"You are well?" Khotaline interrogated from her place. Concern for him was clear in her cat-like gaze.

Mave nodded. "There are many decisions that can be made with several different outcomes... everything is playing so quickly, like flashes of pictures. I'm not certain on what I can tell you."

"Any decision that will come to our advantage?" Brexon inquired with an analytical gaze. He spoke so flatly, but Annika could honestly say he had an aptitude for leading.

Mave ran his fingers through his vibrant red mane. The scars on the side of his mouth were, as always, prominent on his handsome face. "Plenty, but we must tread lightly before making a final decision. That means," he shot a pointed look at Rouhem and Doruqa, "the word 'impulsive' is no longer in our vocabulary."

"That all the advice you got, seer?" Inferno demanded. Her temper appeared to be more explosive that day.

Mave smirked. "Careful pixie-"

"The question is whether he will show up and if my siblings will be there, because they will be much more of a problem than any army," Soren broke into the conversation. His voice was steady and controlled, filled completely with dominance.

"And exactly what do we have to counter them? Exactly how bad can this get?" Doruqa threw back, rubbing a hand over her shortly trimmed white hair. The bags under her eyes stole away from her natural beauty.

"My siblings were bred with perfection to deal with situations exactly as this one," Soren explained, mindlessly running his thumb over the back of her hand. Annika could tell he was tense just by the stiffening of his muscles.

"What about you?" Doruqa asked, "because I can't be the only one who's heard the story of the Dark Heir? He doesn't seem as dangerous as they say. Why is this prince here?" There was a challenge to her voice and a lift in her brow. Annika suddenly became bothered, and realized she would not keep her mouth shut, especially when it came to Soren.

"Soren may not steal children in the night," Annika warned, "but slitting your throat would be terrifyingly easy for him, and if I were you, I would think twice before assuming he were anything less than dangerous." She looked around the room with conviction and then finally stopped on Doruqa. "We are here, because if we weren't, all of you would lose."