3.2 | Always Three Things

Start from the beginning

"Have you noticed how it's always 'three' things with you?" He questioned, making me knit my brows together. What? He shook his head seeing I had no idea what he was talking about, "Never mind. Khushi, I don't see the problem here. If you don't know how to wear a saree, just ask di. For make-up, I'm sure Lavanya wouldn't mind helping either. There is Jenni too. And what is the real problem behind the shoot? We've always had our designers featured in anything we put together. It's not about taking credit for the fashion house, but also for others to recognize our designers. You may work for AR, but at the end of the day, it's your work. And this is just the calendar shoot. We'll also be having the launch party where you are going to have to walk the ramp when the dresses are revealed."

"No. Hell to the no. It is not happening."

He tilted his head to the side, "Khushi, come on. You know how the fashion industry works. You majored in it."

I exhaled, because he was right. Damn it. Why did he have to be right all the flipping time?! I'd known this for years, but yet, when it was actually happening, I was chickening out, but in my defense, I hadn't thought I would be reaching this milestone so early in my career. I wasn't prepared for this and at the same time, I knew. I needed to stop turning away from things that initially seemed intimidating. I used to love taking on challenges before. Though I try a lot, why couldn't I just find a glimpse of my old self in the present?

Carefully, he took a step towards me and placed his hands on my either shoulder. He waited for me to meet his eyes before advising, "You don't have to worry about anything, sweet pea. Don't think about posing for camera or flashes or anything else. If anything scares you, just look at me. I'll be right there."

His words were meant to be ones of comfort, and they would be... except for the fact that I would have to look at him when out there. How could I ever explain it to him? Every time I looked at him, into his eyes, a warm fuzzy feeling started erupting everywhere in my body and I tended to forget about everything else. It would be just the two of us. And that... was dangerous.

So? Why are you fighting it, Khushi? You already know you love him. You even said it to him.

Alas, it wasn't simple. Loving him and following through on those words were two different things. So far, I've only loved him from afar. All we had were words exchanged and emotional intimacy. Handling physical intimacy as well... I didn't know if I could.

He snapped his fingers in front of my eyes. I blinked, returning from my thoughts. He smiled, as if knowing I had been miles away, "Really, sweet pea. Live in the present and try to not overthink everything. The second you start overthinking, the problems will begin."

I muttered. "Easier said than done."

He knew it too and didn't take offense. Instead, he informed with a light squeeze on my shoulder, "I'll send in the cavalry."

I watched him leave. Cavalry? Then my brain caught up once the lingering sensation of his hand on my shoulders starting to fade. He meant Anjali and Lavanya. I figured I could put on the blouse while they got here so they only had to drape the saree and help me with make-up. The most I had ever cared to learn was how to apply eyeliner on the upper eye. I put on Chap-stick regularly, so I figured applying lipstick or gloss would be manageable. Even a child can learn that. Right? Sure, they might make a mess, but I know how to color within the lines. But the highlights and foundations and concealers and whatever else that went along... I had no idea, and I honestly hated the idea of putting those layers on my face.

But, the way Felix had been with the models, I knew he would expect the same of me.

Even being Arnav Singh Raizada's fiancé wasn't going to save me from Felix's anger.