Waxing Love 12: Offending your precious wolf sensibility

I woke up the next morning, surprisingly refreshed after spending a night hiding from monstrous werewolves. Well, they knew where I was, but I had to trust in Luke and Stephen Tatlock’s ability to keep their pack away from humans, including me. When I glanced at the clock I was surprised to see it was already past ten o’clock. I had gone to bed very early last night, as I had had nothing to do, and I hadn’t expected to sleep so late.

            So I got dressed and then sat back down on the bed. I was locked in, so I just had to wait until someone let me out once the werewolves came back. It was about another hour before I heard the lock turning and Luke’s head appeared in the crack of the now open door.

            “You alright?”

            I nodded quickly. “Did everything go alright last night?”

            He nodded slowly. “Yes, everything’s fine.” There was an awkward pause. “Are you hungry?”

            I leapt to my feet. “God, yes.”

            He smiled a tiny bit. “Well then come on.”

            We went downstairs to the kitchen where only Sean and Mick were sitting. They looked tired, but happy. Much less tense than they had looked in the past few days. I had put their tension down to the arguments between Luke and me that involved the rest of the pack, but perhaps they just got tense in the days leading up to the full moon.

            “Where is everybody else?” I asked as I filled the kettle with water for tea.

            “Asleep,” Luke answered.

            “Transforming is exhausting,” Sean said tiredly.

            Luke went off into the other room as I waited for the water to boil and then poured out tea for myself and the three guys. Suddenly Luke came stomping back into the kitchen. “Who’s Sam?” he demanded angrily.

            I looked at him, confused. “My ex-boyfriend. Why?”

            “Well, why is he calling you and texting you?”

            “Huh?”

            He thrust my mobile phone under my nose. “Thirty messages. Five missed calls.”

            I peered at the screen with interest. Thirty messages and five missed calls, all from Sam? Or were some from my friends? I only had a couple really good friends, and two of them were on holiday together at the moment.

            “Mmm! Well?” Luke stamped his foot.

            I looked up in surprise, I had almost forgotten all about him while I was thinking about Sam. “I don’t know. Why do you have my phone?”

            “We got it from your bag when we brought your things over from the Llewelyn house,” he waved his hand impatiently.

            “We? We got it? You mean you stole my phone! And now you’ve been checking up on my messages and phone calls!”

            “I obviously need to!”

            I looked at him as if he was crazy. “What is that supposed to mean? My ex-boyfriend has been sending me messages: we just broke up, we were in a long-term relationship, we still technically live together! We’re not children, we’re still capable of communicating. It’s a necessity! All the things I own in this world that are not in the small suitcase upstairs are in his flat! What do the messages say?”