Chapter 5

Catalina's P.O.V.

As soon as I walked into the packhouse my brother picked me up and slung me over his shoulder, carrying me into the woods.

I was too happy to care.

Cal set me down and looked me in the eye.

"Catalina."

"Yes."

"Your mate is human."

"Yes."

"You know what that means right?"

I frowned, my happy bubble slightly deflating from the serious look on my brothers face.

"No...?"

Cal sighed and sat me down on a nearby tree trunk before speaking again.

"Cat, it means that he won't be able to feel the mate bond like you do, it means he won't even know what it is. And you know you can't tell him."

"Why?"

"Because he's human."

"But he's my mate!"

"And still human."

"Maybe the alpha will make an exception if I ask him?"

"Catalina we're not allowed to tell humans about us, asking Alpha won't change that."

"Asking me won't change what?"

Me and Cal jumped up to met by the one and only Alpha of the Emeraldforest pack.

Me and Cal bowed our heads before I stepped forward.

"Um... Alpha?"

"Yes Catalina?"

Alpha crossed his arms over his chest. He took and authoritative stance but his eyes still held warmth and kindness.

I took a deep breath.

"Well... I found my mate today but he's human and I was wondering when I'd be allowed to tell him about us?"

Alpha's face fell. He looked torn and, guilty?

"Catalina..." he started. "You know you're not to tell humans about us. Ever."

My face fell. But I nodded.

"Yes Alpha."

With that I turned around and left.

***

"Cat wait!"

I hated it when people called me that.

"What do you want Cal?"

"I'm sorry."

Cal now stood in front of me, on his face a grimace. He had inherited our father's blond hair. I had inherited my mother's and my father's hair colour. Which was why it looked like I was a brunette with a Lot of highlights. Nobody had been able to understand where the eyes came from though.

"There's nothing you should apologize for."

There wasn't. I was going to mark Jayson as my mate and he would know. He would know what it meant. If that meant I'd be banished from the pack...

Then so be it.