XIV

EVERYONE, AND I MEAN everyone didn't back away from my side. People heard the news because of the wails of my mother, and they packed their equipment and followed behind me. Chief didn't argue with anyone coming. He found it happy that he has hired the right kind of people. The trainees who just came out of college all stayed in a room, and when I passed by with everyone behind me, they gaped and looked at me with eyes that say I'm a saint.

Trust me, I am not no saint.

I opened the double doors to the windy day of our town, where our cop cars are located. And, cue the really cool rock music and add some explosions, because Chief and me, who are in the front of the squad, have the face of murder.

I brisked to my cop car while Chief followed. As I got in though, I glanced at the doors and saw my friend Rachelle swaying on the balls of her feet, a grimace on her face, pointed at me. When she noticed me watching though, she smiled brightly and waved. I didn't wave back.

Elizabeth promised to take Mother to her home to calm her down, and let her stay for the night there. I felt it was right- scratch that, I knew it was right. Elizabeth is a godmother to me, and I trust her fully with my fragile mother.

Starting the car, me and twenty other cars, followed my lead. Even though on the outside I haven't said a word or changed my stoned expression, I was touched. I was honored to have partners like these who will help me though these crimes. I'm twenty four now, and if I had this ten years ago, if I had Rachelle, Quentin, and maybe Sasha, I probably could've gone through anything. I could've been able to speak if I had them. Maybe if I had Tanner too.

My heart hurts from the sudden death of my grandmother. My grandfather died of a heart attack three months after I had the incident. It was another devastating loss in our small family. All I had was my grandmother, mother, and weak excuse of a father. My grandmother was never the same after me, and my grandfather. She distanced herself from her own daughter and granddaughter. She sometimes murmured under her breath as she would pass by me like, "you're the reason he died. Only if you never snuck out. You're not my granddaughter."

I would pretend not to hear it, but inside it broke my broken self even more. My mother was never like my grandmother. She didn't have a hard shell. She had a horrible taste of men though. Men always left her or manipulated her at her most vulnerable. Then, they all ran away when they found out that she was Lawrence Rider's mom. I tore apart my mother, but she still held me after my nightmares, after my therapy sessions, or whenever I wanted to be held. Grandmother sometimes showed her loving side at me. It was once on my eighteenth birthday. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember all the bad memories of my grandmother, but I had ones where before the night. Those were bright ones. Those were the ones when we were a family. We had our own troubles, and I didn't meet Tanner.

I was about to reminisce about my eighteenth birthday when we arrived at my childhood home. At first glance, the lawn is dry and overgrown, the tree only bares the stems and no leaves. The house looks old and uncared for. I step out, and I'm hit with a soft breeze, flowing my hair. My eyes look at the house that holds memories. Its a two story shabby place, but I'd still call it home any day.

Chief steps out, and stands next to me. We don't talk for a moment, and it's a comfortable silence. It's a silence that we had shared together and grew upon. Chief and I look at each other, and his eyes say, it's okay, we will get through this.

I nod, and look at the home. The cars park around us, literally blocking the quiet neighborhood road and getting out like we're all in sync. People look at me to give directions, and I do a clip nod, and lead the way inside.

The first thing I see when I open the door is like I'm starring in like a hoarder home. Someone had created a habit of not throwing their shit away, and ended up living in a pig sty. People pay to clean out someone else's mess, and they end up trashing their own home again.

The living room is trashed. The TV is knocked over, while two eight-shelved bookcases are leaning on the wall, or have the books open, or thrown upon. The loveseat couch is knocked over, while the recliner is ripped from a knife of sorts. People file in after me, clapping my shoulder or giving me encouraging comments. They proceed to search the place, and out of respect, not touching anything just yet. I move from room to room and I see everything in literal pieces. Even the stairs going up are ripped. and the paintings are shattered.

Searching the entire downstairs, I see the detectives now fishing for fingerprints or an evidence of who ruined my family's house. I walk upstairs, and almost fall when someone catches me as they were making their way up also.

"Don't want you to fall, boss," a petite sounding girl said, and I turned to see my fellow partner who worked with researching about case White Cell. I smiled and nodded, walking up the stairs more carefully. I reached my room, and stop rigid. My room, is a mess. The room isn't even recognizable anymore. It looks like someone really wanted to either ruin my house just for fun, or to find something. I whistle and Chief with a few of his members behind him follow. They see the room and stare at it. One of Chief's members try to go farther in, but Chief puts his hand up. Chief motions for me to look first, and I oblige.

I look around, pushing around my old clothes and looking through what they looked through. I look in my closet, my drawers, under my bed, and under my colorful rug.

Then it hits me. No like, it literally hit me. A painting fell and hit me right on the nose, and I fall back, my nose bleeding as a piece of paper fluttered to my hand. Chief runs over with his handkerchief and I sit up, looking at the crumbled piece of paper in my hand. I open it and then, reading the familiar handwriting, it hits me.

Thanks 4 the computer ! :)
It was rlly usefool.
XOXO some1 u kno <3

PLEASE SHARE