V

QUENTIN LAUGHS, HIS MUSIC on low on the radio. I look at him, confused on why he laughed.

  He sees my confusion and clears his throat, keeping his eyes on the road. "Oh nothing, just how sporadic this new case is. You've been to that house twice?"

  I nod.

  "And shot at? Also had a gun placed at your head and arrested someone?!"

  I nod again.

  He laughs and hits the steering wheel, "well shoot!- I mean... Um, I'm just glad you're okay. Chief's been worrying and probably getting more wrinkles as we speak."

  We both laugh at this. My laughing is a big smile and an exhale of air.

  I look out the window as the trees pass by. The woods that surrounded the cabin is bigger than I've ever seen, and there was a few deer that I saw. I place my chin in the palm of my hands as I close my eyes. I've been in many circumstance, training wise, for this day. It's come to use. People say I'm the best. People deny and say it's a hoax and that I'm just some odd person. Some alien.

  Dr. Sanchez would set down his files, writing in his small notepad journal. He had many clocks in his room. They would all tick at once, and all of them would hit noon at the exact same time. It would never occur to me how different Dr. Sanchez was. I'd figured that he was a normal man, before the accident. Now, I see him as a clock-obsessed therapist. I tend to not go to him anymore.

  As we arrive to my small home, I unclip my seatbelt and nod thank you to Quentin. Just as I'm about to get out, he stops me by grabbing my wrist. I twitch at his touch, but the wave passes me. He bends down to look at me from the driver's seat.

  "You've, um, been through a lot. Gramps is going to help host a bachelorette party next week. I'm sure you're invited, of course. Do you want me to pick you up though?" He has a stream of confidence that come from his lips, yet he smiles at me nervously.

  I've heard of the bachelorette party. Quentin is the best man, and Chief is helping host. Chief was bragging it to me about a few days ago.

  His hand on my wrist loosens when I don't give him an answer, and he drops it.

  "Think about it, and text me if you want to be picked up. No harm." He says as he drives off. The cop car falling into the shadows.

<<<

>>>

  His hands slide off me and the word has left me shocked. He grins at me, still having the gun at my head.
  A woman that holds a shopping bag and is fat on her hips and calves screams and calls for her husband. She stands in front of the dead body of Tanner. I didn't feel my tears until her cries matched mine. Snot was bubbling out of my nose and I looked too young to be out at night.
  The woman heard me and called to a very tall man, holding a pocket knife and a phone to his ear—later I'd be introduced to him. He was Chief and he would put me under his wing. Where I'd think to be safe—and sees me struggling to let loose from the man.
  The man that holds me down—He's a mysterious man, and the blue eyes he has seem extremely familiar to me since now—let's me go and flees to the alleyway.
  Chief runs after him and the pudgy woman, the wife of Chief, helps me up and puts her jacket on me. I wipe my nose on my hand and rub it on my jeans. My jeans are wet with flesh blood from falling. My face has crusty snot and tears, and my lips are trembling. I screamed at this accident, and this was the last time I did ever hear my scream. I remember it shaking and cracking.
  The woman asked who my name was and I didn't answer. She expected that I was just paralyzed. I had tried to say my name, I thought I was fully capable of doing so, but could not.

  I wake up sweating from my back and armpits. I sit up and realized I have left my TV on. My laptop was closed and my phone was on a low percentage.

  I could say this was a nightmare, but that would be lying. It's a flashback of sorts. This dream land doesn't let me see the world normally, and has to bring back to my poor excuse of a childhood.

  I let out a long, shaky breath. I get up to get a water. My apartment is small yet cozy. I have a one bedroom, two bath. I like to cook occasionally. My living room contains two five shelf bookshelves with books of all the sorts and genres. From romance to history. I've read it all, and loved it all. They're an escape from my world.

  If things were in better circumstances, like say I'd had a boyfriend and a big dog, I wouldn't feel lonely. The thought of someone loving me because of me and not my muteness-They'd run. I couldn't ever manage to get someone to love me. If I got a dog, it would have to be trained like I was blind. I couldn't and wouldn't want a poor animal in a cage. We have the German Shepherds at the office and they're enough company for my being.

  Speaking of dogs, I remember.  A case a while ago was where someone's dog bit off some intruder's ear. I found the evidence bag of the ear in some form of green liquid in the science lab. I walked away; I didn't want to deal with such a case.

  I got my water and chug it down. I look through my cabinets to see if I have any food left, and I only found crackers and some leftover takeout.

  I eat the leftovers and dress into fresher clothes. Throwing the clothes in the hamper, I walk pant-less to my bathroom.

  I reach into my medicine cabinet and retrieve my pills. I take three of each container. I didn't exactly see which pills I took because I did not turn the lights on. It's usual for me to do so, because I only have three cases of pills. I then turn the light on and check myself in the mirror and fix my hair, removing the under eye concealer, and head to bed.

<<<

>>>

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

R-

  "This number is not available at the moment. Please wait for the tone to record your message."

Beep.

  There was a small crackle, then a soft chuckle on the line. "Hey Lawrence. This is Quentin. You haven't came to work—so, um, text me. Chief has new stories about the case," He pauses, "we all sorta need your knowledge. Listen, if you like, need anything, just text me."

  The sound of the phone clicks and the room goes silent.

  Thing is, I can't move to end the silence.

PLEASE SHARE