XIII

I PACE THE LIVING room, keeping my breathing calm. I've closed all the windows and pulled the blinds, I double locked every outlet of my house, and I've lit up every corner. My steps go five times across the carpet, turn, and five back. I repeat the process of my light feet hitting the floor as I walk, and listening to my racing heartbeat. I look over my shoulder and I swear I feel eyes on me. Everywhere I go in my own house or anywhere for that matter, I feel a presence either behind me, or in front of me, or in my sleep. I haven't mentioned it to anyone, but I feel like I should, and soon. It was 3:08 in the morning and I stop pacing. Holding my head in my hands, my hair tangled and my eyes red from a lack of sleep. I let out a large exhale of breath. Then inhale deeply.

I need to get out. I really need to get out of my house, just for awhile. Just for me to get myself together, just for a long while.

  I feel pathetic.

Since it is really early in the morning, everything must be closed, but that didn't stop me. I put on a warm jacket, track pants, and running shoes, making sure to have layers of clothes since of the frosty morning. Putting my hair up and grabbing the necessities, I'm off for a run.

I barely go run. It's really not my thing. The only time I really do it is when I'm wanting to let off steam, or to get my mind calm.

I really could use some calming of the mind.

<<<

>>>

"Miss Rider?" A plump woman shorter than an elf that is Chief's secretary knocks on my door, opening it into my office.

I look up from my computer and quickly shut off solitaire to one of my draft emails of reports about the current case of the kidnap. I nod for her to speak.

"U-um... Your mother is in Chief's office."

I freeze. Mom? Here? She lives only a few hours away but... what is she doing talking to Chief? Last I heard, they weren't on speaking terms. I keep a neutral expression and stand walking my way to Chief's office, but not before I hear my name a familiar annoying, black haired, blue eyed, handsome face with plump lips that just need to be kis-

"Hey Lawrey!" Quentin comes up to me and touches my arm. I look at the hand on my arm as I feel a jolt of pain in my heart. The images of the situation weeks ago come back, and I'm back to the heartfelt passion I wanted to feel for him. He sees my desperate eyes and smirks slightly, but it's more of a nervous smile. He lowers his voice, "listen, can we talk about this later? I-"

I hear heels and a slap of a hand being forcefully taken off my shoulder. "Oh move away from her, Quentin. Don't you see that you've done enough?" Rachelle said, stepping between Quentin and me. Quentin shrunk away from her slightly. She had a look in her eyes that I couldn't quite understand as she stared at him, holding some kind of authority in her stance. Her eyes held anger, annoyance, and something else. For a second I thought it was enjoyment to see him shrink away, but it was gone as fast as it came.

  Quentin walked away quickly to anywhere but where we were standing. I watch him go away, feeling slightly disappointed to see him go. See him walk away from me like I was never dancing with him in the first place.

  Rachelle brought me back to reality as she snapped her finger in my face. I shook away my thoughts and patted her shoulder, signing that I have to go and left her to walk to Chief's office.

  The door was cracked open and I heard uncontrollable weeping. I heard a familiar soothing voice of a woman and noticed it was Elizabeth. I opened the door, and like a blur, my mother ran to me and hugged me tight, crying on my shoulders. I looked for my Grandmother and she wasn't there. She goes wherever my mother does.

  Elizabeth soon pried away my sad mother to a chair next to me. Elizabeth plopped me down next to her, and I looked at Chief and saw him look away. He looked stressed, and over the top stress. He had gray at his temples, a two day stubble, and his eyes were a sad blue.

  Mother latched onto my arm and cried while I heard Chief's voice break as he told me heartbreaking news. My Mother only cried harder.

  "Someone broke into your Mother's and," his voice softens, " your Grandmother's place. Everything was a mess. Your mother was working but-"

  I stand, and he continues as my mother weeps and tries to claw my arm to sit me back down. I know what's coming. I feel it before he says it.

  "Your Grandmother was there. She tried fighting them off because of a sign of a struggle, but..."

  I swallowed, and grasped the hem of my shirt, while my other hand is occupied of my curled up Mom.

  "She died. Someone shot her in the head. I'm sorry." Chief finished, looking sad and dim. Elizabeth managed to get Mother's hand of my arm that left her scratches, but it laid limp.

  My eyes stared at Chief's, and I was at a point where I don't know what to say or do. There are times I do know what to do, and times I don't at all. At this time, It's both. I know what to do, and it's to comfort my Mother and tell her I'm here by lots of hugs and kisses, crying with her. Then, there's what I don't know what to do. Do I comfort and be a human with emotions, or get back to work, not shedding a tear.

  I do neither. I nod to Chief, hug Elizabeth, and bend down in front of my Mother. She looks at me, and for some reason, I'm reminded of a mirror.

  My mother is just like me. She said I look so much like her, but more beautiful. I had my Dad's eyes that were made of a chocolate brown, while my mother has a popping hazel. It broke me to see my Mom have her beautiful eyes covered in tears. I stayed where I was. Looking at my mother's eyes while she looked back at my eyes. She saw what I was saying, and nodded.

  I'm going to our home, I thought as I shed one, glistening tear. It silently hit my hand.

  I'll be getting them back, Grandma. I promise. I will find out who this was. And I won't be pathetic.

PLEASE SHARE