|14| Ready Or Not Here We Come

I was caught up in web I couldn't loosen. The following days in Newton Prep were far from boring. I had to cram learning and working at the diner with the meetings I had with Brianna and Lola. Even though I was still known as the girl in glasses, I was slowly becoming a part of their circle, in the background that is. More like an adviser in their kingdom and a psychic in their super hero story where they were the heroes and main characters.

Like you would have already guessed, our little circle was incomplete, and we needed one more girl to employ. The emo queen, Ruby Steele. 

Ruby was pretty scarce around campus, so it was hard getting in touch with her. I assumed she was out there somewhere, breaking into places she could fit, scaring the daylights out of unsuspecting teenagers. She was that dangerous.

Brianna liked to think of herself as our leader. I had no problem with that, and Lola, on the other hand, was one tough nut to crack. She was constantly at it with Brianna. They were always bickering. Either about a dance number or broadway musicals to the latest fashion trends. I once chipped in that High School musical was the only musical I knew and they both vowed to make my life miserable if I ever repeated such a blunder anywhere. They didn't scare me but the death glare Lola gave me sent some frozen chills down my spine. 

Both girls continued dating Dean. The guy was hot, so I understood why they found it difficult breaking up with him.

The cheat still kept running his shifts with them and unsurprisingly he still frequented Antonia's grill with the three queens of Newton Prep. Brianna was a lot nicer now whenever it was her turn with Dean, but I knew what was going through her mind. She wanted to kill the bastard. That much was clear to me with how she constantly glared at him when he wasn't looking. If looks could kill, Dean Richardson would already be six feet, no doubt.

I walked into the kitchen and tried to make small conversation with Alfredo. I was so nervous that I couldn't even make sense of my bearings.

"You're okay child?" Alfredo asked sensing my uneasiness.

"Yes. I am," I said as I fidgeted with my apron. Normally I would ask him the delicacies on today's menu, but I was too distracted. It was a beautiful Monday afternoon so guess whose turn it was to eat out with Newton Prep's heartthrob, Yup Ruby Steele. That wasn't why I was nervous. It was because Brianna and Lola agreed to come over to the diner to talk Ruby into helping them out with their revenge on Dean. Of course I was against them coming over to the diner. I didn't want to get off Antonia's good record and I had a reputation to keep where my uprightness was concerned.

"Lisa are you even listening?" Antonia blew an impatient sigh.

When had she even entered the cooking area? "Uhm... sorry can you repeat what you said," I put on a straight face.

"Are you okay? You look a little distracted." She observed.

I tightened the apron around my waist, "I'm fine just a little tired,"

"Tiredness should be reserved for old folks like me, it shouldn't be in your vocabulary. Now hurry out there. Two ladies are requesting for your presence," She said slowly, a little calmness to her voice.

I hurried out, and scanned through the eatery. "Lisa! Over here," A hand waved in my sight. I walked closer and almost tripped at the absurdity. Brianna was wearing a brown curly wig, and a green ugly sweater over her dark rhinestone jeans. Her upturned piercing eyes were hidden under large dark shades which covered half of her face. Lola on the other hand looked like she had just walked out of a 90's fashion show with her short black hair and Egyptian feline eye makeup.

I clutched up stomach and laughed my heart out, "What's up with you guys. Didn't know Halloween was already here," I wiped a tear.

"I told you this was a bad idea." Brianna scowled at Lola.