|09|The Mini Devils

Do you wanna know what I think?
Mean girls, mean girls
I'm a just comb you outta my curls
Mean girls, mean girls
You no longer run my world
Mean girls, mean girls

♥♥♥

Rule number seven: Never look the devil straight in the eyes. Seriously, I wish someone had told me that before I got tricked by shiny hair and beautiful nut-brown eyes...

✳✳✳

"EXCELLENT I'M GLAD TO MAKE your acquaintance." Shirley smiled curtly, beckoning us to follow her.

She led us out of the girls dormitory into the open. The air breezed past us as we walked down the terracoated floor lined with shady elm trees and sprouts of azaleas. We entered a massive freshly painted building pervaded with uniform clad students who went about their activities unscathed by our mere presence. I felt so invisible.

Shirley got a lot of attention in the form of his' and hellos from girls and boys alike, and I kept wondering how popular one person could be. We whizzed through sequences of fresh earth brown lockers draped at each side of the wide hallway, their large widths almost filling a bedroom requirement.

"Newton Prep was founded in the early 18th Century by Edwardo Flores." Shirley began. "A priest who believed education was best explored in a conducive and calm environment like this. So that, girls, is when he put his lifelong plan into action. Newton Prep Academy offers students opportunities to live up to their dreams and passion. Our educational schedule includes a lot of extracurriculars. It is understood that, while some students might excel academically, others might excel in the athletic field. So, we have the track team-"

I chuckled. She glanced my way, questioning me with her gray eyes. "Anything wrong?"

I shook my head and gestured her to carry on. The track team was definitely out of question. My first day in Salamanca shattered every dream I had about running. Not like I'd one in the first place.

"The writer's and debater's club, the science and maths club. I hear you two are here on a science scholarship, you can try it out."

Penny beamed, "That would be great,"

Shirley pointed out a few buildings, "That's the gymnasium, and that over there, is the library,"

The library had a freaking building of its own. She was freaking kidding right? My old school could easily be squashed inside and there would still be some space left.

"Oh my God is that a pool house?" Penny squealed.

"Yes it is," Shirley grinned.

Penny gripped my hand for support as she stumbled back. I gazed at the dreamy look on her face.

"I love this school." She said, her eyes lovey dovey.

Shirley talked on, I was too busy staring at the unfamiliar faces that I lost track of most part of the conversation.

"Annalise, you seem a little lost in your thoughts," She countered, when she noticed how less I was contributing to the conversation.

"No I'm fine, don't mind me,"

She gave me a skeptical look and continued, "Okay so moving on. This is the cafeteria stroke dining hall stroke where the magic happens."

"What magic?" The charcoal gray lunch tables and chairs were pretty normal to me.

"Spanish cuisine is magically appealing to the tongue. Suffice to say that this cafeteria doubles up as a restaurant at night till curfew."

I glanced at Penny and the smile on her face suggested she liked this news as much I did. "Which year are you in?" I asked Shirley. She seemed like a cool person to hang out with.