Chapter 35

Day 6 in this purgatory. I'm tired and hungry. I do not know how Rose has coped this long here. We've been fed a variety, dry cereal, slices of brown bread, a little fruit... Very wholesome as you could probably imagine. At first I refused to eat anything. Rose urged me that I had to, she said if I didn't he'd become angry, and when he was angry apparently he was unpredictable. I had already had the misfortune of experiencing his anger. I spent most of my time huddled in the corner, tying to think of a way out of this.

I longed to see Kellin again. I missed him so much, I often wondered about what he was doing at this exact moment in time and whether he was trying to find me. I believed he would. At the same time, I didn't want him to come here, I didn't want him anywhere near that man. The door opened and Rose was slung back into the room. I ran to console her; I didn't know exactly what he did to her, but I could guess. Her eyes were emotionless. I wrapped my arms around her and held her closely. I never asked about what happened when he took her out of those doors. "We are going to get out of here, we are not going to die here Rose, I promise." She smiled weakly. "I'm happy you know," she replied finally "I'm happy that Kellin has you."

"I'm glad I have him."

"Scarlett, what does he look like now?"

"He's a very handsome young man. His eyes are just like yours," she began to smile genuinely, "he's tall, about 6ft, he has dark brown hair..."

"My hair used to be brown." She twisted a bit in her fingers.

"Did you bleach it?"

"No, he did." Her eyes dropped to the floor.

"Why?"

"So if by chance anyone happened to see me, they would not be able to give a correct description of me to authorities..."

"That's horrible..." I shook my head in disbelief. I looked up to the window, it was growing darker. I stood up on the wooden cabinet to get a better look of where we were. All I could see were trees. I shook the frame in frustration. Wait... It was loose...

I shook it again to find that one of the screws was halfway out.

"What is it Scarlett?"

"I think, I think the screw's loose here!"

Just then the door flew open. He was standing in the doorway. His crooked, wicked smile brought an impulse of terror into my heart as his beady eyes were straight on me.