Accepting Fate

I couldn't believe him.

I stared at myself in the mirror in horror at the mark that was now visible to everyone. Everyone would know I was mated to him. For the bond to be complete I would have to bite him back. Not going to happen. Because he will be dead when I rip off his damn head.

I wore the only thing that would even relatively cover the mark; an oversized black hoodie. I was so angry at him.

And yet... a deep part of me loved the fact that I was marked. That I had finally submitted in some way to him.

I joined Jenna downstairs and we hurried out to her white SUV. It was a surprise to see her driving an SUV. It didn't fit her at all.

"This is a surprise." I said as I slid into the black seat inside of the Mercedes. The interior was leather and the dash was a light blue color that looked extremely high tech.

"Yeah. I actually am not a huge fan of sports cars. Lucian and Xavier used to drive me around so fast I was convinced we were going to crash and explode. So now I opt for that good ol' five star safety." She tapped the wheel and we were off.

It was nearly an hour to the nearest strip mall. Most of the ride was quiet as far as conversation went. It turns out that Jenna and I had extremely similar taste in music. Basically we both liked everything. I played all of my songs in my library on shuffle and laughed each time a new song came on and both of us busted into song.

I missed this. Kahlia and I used to do this before she turned into an apparent uber bitch.

"Okay. I am sensing a lot of black, midnight blue, and we will throw a little red in at the end." Jenna said confidently. I laughed as she dragged me around half of the clothing stores in the strip mall.

We went from store to store picking out little pieces and ensembles. Two large jackets that probably had more feathers in them than a down comforter. I fell in love with a few pairs of thicker leggings and lastly I made sure to stock up on a few scarves...

Jenna was amazing. She was funny, and a little more brazen than I was used to. She always said what was on her mind. Especially if any decent looking guys walked by.

"So how do you like it so far? I hope they haven't run you off in all of their crazy." Jenna asked as we ate lunch. I fiddled my chopsticks in my chow mein and paused before answering.

"It's... nice." I said quietly. I knew she would hear me even if I mumbled.

"Nice is good."

"I miss my home."

"I literally can't imagine. I haven't gone out venturing much. I guess the thought of mating or finding my mate scares me too much." She stared off into space before digging into her Chinese food with a fork.

"Why?"

"Because what if he rejects me." She whispered. I stopped chewing and gawked at her. Jenna was the epitome of what a man would want. She was curvy, tall, with black hair and freckles. It was an amazing combination and I wondered if all good looks ran in Lucian's family like that. Our kids would have good genes. Ugh damnit.

"Yeah... the only reason I could see him rejecting you is... oh yeah, never. You're gorgeous Jenna and any guy would be lucky to have a chance with you."

"Then why are you pushing Lucian away?" She said meeting my gaze. Her words caught me completely off guard. Is that what it looked like? She definitely wouldn't be saying that if she saw my neck.

"I'm not rejecting him." I said flatly. She laughed.

"Then what are you doing? You barely look at him. And he is trying so hard. He has completely changed in less than a week. He doesn't go out, he's attached to your hip. Hell. The first time you saw him, you ran. I just worry... what if I my mate ran from me? I don't know what I would do." Her green eyes expectantly stared into mine.

I sighed, knowing that only one thing would put her at ease. And that I was going to regret this immensely. I pulled the bunched up hood aside towards my shoulder and exposed my mark to her.

"Oh my fuck. Eeee!" She squealed lightly and clapped her hands.

"I knew it." She said quietly.

"Shut up. Happy?" I retorted. She snickered as I hid my neck again.

"Oh shit. I have to call you Luna now." She sarcastically bowed her head at me. I threw my plastic fork at her head as she dodged it, laughing harder.

"Fuck off, Jenna."

"That's sister to you." She lost it. I smiled. I enjoyed her company so much. But it only made me ache and be pissed off for my own flesh and blood.

"What's wrong?" She read my face. I sighed and told her what transpired the night Lucian and I met... the night I ran. I told her about Connor, and Kahlia. Mostly about their strange behavior that smelled a lot like revenge.

"Well damn. No wonder you aren't exactly warming up to us. I'm seriously sorry. But they're just hurt and lashing out. You've moved on past the small pack life and they're still there." Her words were a reality that I didn't want to hear yet.

I felt slightly guilty for my sister. I knew she wanted a mate, probably more than anything. She wanted to leave our pack so badly. And here I was, fighting it like a rogue.

"I never thought about it that way. I never thought about it at all. It's just so ridiculous."

"Would you trade places with her?" Jenna asked softly. It wasn't a loaded question, but it was a frank one. If I could trade with my sister I could have Connor all to myself, and I'd never be with Lucian again. It didn't take long to answer.

"No."