Chapter 5: Bad News

I am in a heavy black cloud. Nothing to see. Nothing to hear. Just this heaviness in my whole body. So heavy that I cannot move. I can't remember how to open my eyes. Then I start to hear noises. The buzz of machines. Clicking of feet near me. Quiet talking. I lie still. I strain to hear and make sense of it all. No idea. Where am I and why?

Next I feel some light shining on my closed eyes - a pink glow. I struggle to open them. Success. I am in a bright white place. Someone is bending over me. He says my name. And again. I try to remember how to talk. No words come, but I blink hard. Again he calls me. Again I try to answer. Suddenly I clear my throat. I think I am about to shout. But all that comes out is a tiny whisper, "What happened?"

"You were in a car accident," I heard the man say. The doctor. "You're left arm is fractured and you broke a couple of ribs. You also have a few cuts on your face and you do have a concussion." That would explain why my head hurts so much. I try to sit up but the pain is too unbearable so I just fall back down on my back.

"Oh dear!" I hear a woman say. The woman comes rushing over to me and she happens to be a nurse. "Sweetie, you need to stay laying down. You can't be sitting up in your condition. It's not really good for you."

"i'm fine," I tell her.

"No you're not sweetie! That accident you were in was really. You're lucky to have made it out alive!" What does she mean I was lucky to be alive? I only have a few broken ribs and a fractured arm. That isn't that bad.

"Wait...where's my brother?" I ask her.

"Excuse me?" she looks at me confused.

"My brother, the driver of the car I was in." I looik in her eyes as I say that and I see her eyes grow wider with sideness in them. "Where is he?? What happened?"

"I'm so sorry," she begins. "Your brother didn't make it. The truck hit his side and he died right on impact." Thats when I felt my whole world crash upon me. I couldn't believe what she was saying. I zoned her out. I didn't want to hear another word from her. He can't be dead. HE CAN'T BE! I don't know what I'm gonna do anymore. He was the only family I honestly have. 

First my dad, now my brother! And my mom shut out all contact with anyone else in my family when my dad died so I haven't spoken to anyone in my family in years. I was too lost in my own mind that I didn't even know when my mom stormed into my hospital room. 

"Skylar!" I hear her yell. "You little bitch." I look around but only see my mom. It looks like the nurse left. "Tyler's death is all your fault!" She continues to yell at me. I feel too numb to even comprehend what she's saying to me. "First my one and only true love; now my sweet and loving son! All this is your fault!" 

I can start to feel the warm tears streaming down my cheeks. She's right. The death of my dad. The death of Tyler. They're all my fault. 

Ten years ago my dad was coming to pick me up after I ran away. I called him and told him where I was. Running away was stupid. I was only a kid and when I didnt get my way, I ran. My dad was in an accident then. My mom has always blamed me for that. I don't blame her. It was all my fault. If I never would've ran away, he would've never gotten in a car crash that day. He would've still be alive. And now my brothers dead.

Both these times it happened when I ran away. My dad got killed when coming to pick me up after running away; my brother got killed while talking to me after I came home from running away. Maybe next time I run away it will be me dead. They don't deserve to be dead. It should be me, not them!

I suddenly hear my mom talking again. "I don't want you anywhere near me or my house again!" And with that she turned around and walked away. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for it being so short. Reason being is that the next chapter is supposed to skip a few weeks so cutting it short only makes sense.