Chapter 3

Melanie's POV

"Hey, mom," I say, as she welcomes me in a hug.

I was currently visiting my parents at their house and I hadn't realized how much I missed them until now.

"Oh honey, I've missed you so much. How have you been?"

"I've missed you too.. I've been okay, I'm not over Jace's death yet. I don't think I'll ever be. But Wesley is helping me get through it and so is Drew." I sigh, as I sit down on the couch with her.

"Wesley Stromberg?" She asks in a disapproving tone.

"Yes, why?"

"I don't want you hanging out with him. Friends or not." She says, and I glare at her.

"What the hell?! Why not?" I start to raise my voice.

"Because I've heard bad things about him. Just because he's friends with Drew doesn't mean that he has the same personality."

"Mom, he's been there for me for the past few weeks and I will hang out with him if I want. I'm 18, and I can do what I please." I say, with a tone and begin to get up. "I'm leaving. Tell Matthew and dad I said hi."

"Melanie!" She yells after me, following behind me.

I roll my eyes and walk out, heading towards my car. As I stop at a red light my phone begins to ring and when I pick it up, the caller I.D. says Wesley so I answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Melanie."

"What's up?"

"Do you know if you can come over to my place? I need your help with a few things." He says, and I smile slightly.

"Yeah, sure. I just left my parents house so I'm on my way."

"Great! See you in a bit." He says and I hang up.

-

"So why did you want me to come over?" I ask, as he leads me back to his room.

"Um.. I kinda need help with getting stuff together for college. I'm going to do it at home like you but I still need help though." He says, and I smile really big.

"Wesley, that's great! I'm so happy for you!" I squeal, and he laughs as I jump into his arms for a hug and he picks me up a bit as I wrap my arms around him tightly. When I pull back, he's still holding me up and our faces are way too close. I can feel his breath fanning out onto my face. He looks down at my lips and I blush a bit before coughing awkwardly.

"Sorry." He laughs a bit and sets me down, and I go and sit down on his bed.

After explaining everything to him, we decide to just relax and talk for a bit. My head is in Wesley's lap, and he plays with my hair a little.

"So what made you decide to move to New York?" I ask Wesley, and he frowns.

"I didn't really like where I was in California. Everyone I knew was coming here for college and shit and so I was like why not, so I moved up here awhile ago."

"Yeah, I met Drew a few years ago.. Did you move here at the same time as him?"

"Yeah.. Me and Keaton didn't want to be away from Drew. He's like our brother and our parents were totally chill about it so we moved up here with him." He says, and I grin at him and he half smiles back at me.

"I wonder why I didn't meet you until the funeral.. Did Drew ever mention me?" I ask, and he sighs.

"No, I don't think so.. He never really talks about girls unless he's into them you know."