Chapter 3: The Carriage

Comenzar desde el principio

"Although, I must say, principessa, you are most fortunate," Lady Alberta started. "The principessa does not have to give up her family name or title because of the man she marries."

"Yes, I suppose that is an advantage," I nodded, looking up the staircase.

I saw some soldati, alongside some servants and right-hands coming down the stairs as well as some guards blowing the trumpet behind me. Mamma and papá were on their way down. Some of those people stopped at the very bottom of the staircase and announced, "Their Majesties, Re Antonio and Regina Aurelia."

The entire crowd stopped what they were doing and the men bowed while the women curtsied, including me. I may have been their daughter but proper protocol had to be followed.

Once they were finally downstairs and I got out of my curtsy, excused myself from my ladies in waiting and walked towards my mamma and papá, who were surrounded by servants and soldati.

"Mamma, are you absolutely positive I can't wear my tiara tonight?" I asked with an unintentional pout on my face. "Everyone's starting to wear them and I really wish I could as well."

"Papperota, you know full well what tradition dictates. Only engaged or married women can have tiaras on their heads. It's only to signify that - " She tried to explain something she had elaborated on multiple times before, but I had to have mine on tonight.

"Mamma, surely when the people do not see a ring on my finger, they will know I am not engaged nor am I married. Did you not see Cressida's tiaras at like the last...about thirteen events. And she isn't engaged or married!" I protested. That specific tradition was something I would refuse to partake in.

"Valeria, how will you find a husband if every gentleman at the ball assumes you to be spoken for and cannot even - " she had only started but papà came to save the day. I was his princess before being a princess, of course he would come and defend me.

Both, me and mamma, already knew that papà would take my side. Even she knew that arguing with him when it came to me was useless, given that I was his principessa. And I did not try to hide the fact that I was spoiled, although I did hope to make my own way in life as well.

"My principessa isn't allowed to outshine everybody else tonight?" Papà put his hand around my shoulder. "Papera, you wear whatever you want. My principessa always outshines everyone else. And if you want to wear a tiara, you put on the brightest one you got. Tradition is just peer pressure from the dead, anyways."

Papá really did have a way with words.

"You spoil her far too much. Do you have any idea what the people will say? It is one thing for someone of the peerage to break away from tradition but when that someone is the principessa, people talk." Mamma shot back.

I hated making mamma angry but when papá told me that he would make sure she was alright, I was quite happy. And he lived up to his word.

"Alright, but you may not wear a colored tiara. Only diamonds and only for tonight given that this is the first ball of the season." she finally gave in but not before muttering, "Absolutely ridiculous."

I jumped up in glee, kissing both mamma and papá on their cheeks and with my ladies in waiting and a few maids as well as my right hand, I was escorted back up to my powder room.

I did not have a lot of time to admire myself in the mirror so as fast as I could, I grabbed my diamond tiara that was put away so I could wear it after my wedding. It was absolutely magnificent, and was given to me by my nona.

My ladies in waiting assisted me in securing the tiara around my head, working as fast as possible because of Niko's screaming downstairs.

We headed downstairs once done. Everyone was waiting for us downstairs, and by that, I meant everyone including our new guests from the House of D'Angelo, Rebecca, and her cat, Grayson.