10: Banquet

In preparation for the hectic, eventful day I knew was ahead of me, I guzzled down an extra cup of coffee. If a fancy banquet was out of my element, then a fancy banquet with the boys was way out of my element. And if that weren't already enough, I had to factor in my current standing with said boys. As much as I had previously tried to avoid this precise situation, having two hot musicians who were infatuated with me admittedly wasn't the worst position for me to be in.

As I exited the taxi and waltzed through the doors of EMI, I felt a certain excitement growing inside me. Maybe if I just loosen up and not think so much for once, I'll actually end up having a fun time. Distracted, I didn't notice George strolling pass me.

He grinned exuberantly, "Well, if it isn't Paul's 'jazz'..?"

I smiled anxiously; my heart dropped at the mention of Paul. I was really going to be his date tonight. This wasn't all just some crazy fever dream. Instinctively, my face began to flush and the butterflies residing in my stomach proceeded to rage.

"I get high when I see you go by, Abbie..." my thoughts were interrupted yet again, this time by an unmistakable wily voice.

I looked up, John. The same John who had nonchalantly handed me suggestive scribbles last night like it was nothing. How could he get away with that? How was I supposed to react the next time I saw him?

I gulped; 'next time' is now...

He smirked and deviously raised an eyebrow at me, "Well, how are ya, love? Aren'tcha gonna say hi to me?" he reached out to touch me but I hastily backed away.

"I have work to do, John," I stated firmly, my eyes piercing into his.

John hooted, "Of course you do! See ya tonight!" he shot me a wink as I hurried out of his sight.

As I locked myself into the dark privacy of my office, I leaned my back against the door and sighed deeply. I could still feel my heart racing rapidly against my chest. This banquet was going to be a bigger event than I bargained for...

***

That night, I quickly changed into the mint green dress I had hidden at work for special affairs; I wanted to look extra special tonight for the boys. I carefully redid my eyeliner and mascara, going for a more dramatic look. Lastly, I took a curling iron to my hair to give it that very subtle flip. Swigging one last cup of coffee for good measure, I fleetly examined myself in the mirror.

The delectable stimulant rushing through my veins gave my cheeks a rosy glow. I simpered blithely at my reflection. Yes, that should about do it...

As I flaunted out of my office, feeling good about myself, I immediately caught the eye of John. He was standing a little ways away from me, admiring me with his gaze. I looked up at him, smiling. At this, his face drained of color as he appeared to be at a loss for words.

"Abbie..." he shakily began. "You look amazing..!"

"I know," I replied in a surge of caffeine-induced confidence. "You don't look so bad yourself!"

And he didn't. John, in fact, looked quite dashing in his suit and tie. It was hard for me not to gape right back at him.

"Thanks," he answered quietly as he looked down, twiddling his thumbs.

I chuckled, "And for once, your big yap is shut!"

John narrowed his eyes at me and then raised his chin, feeling challenged. "Oh, sod off!"

"Alright, where is she?" I heard someone say in his usual eager yet airy tone. It was Paul. My escort for the evening.

Akin to John, Paul's reaction to me was one of shock and awe. His jaw dropped and his eyes were stunned and enlarged. But before he could say anything, I was taken aback by how handsome and debonair Paul looked in his respective suit and tie; it was like he was born for these types of events.