4: Photograph

Before I knew it, I was in the middle of all the hustle and bustle with the boys leaving. Everyone was moving things back and forth and getting ready. The first person I ran into was George. Once we locked eyes, I was met with a toothy grin.

"John bullied you into coming, eh?" he slyly remarked. 

I smiled at him and shook my head, "Nah, we made up. We're friends now!" 

Just then, Brian appeared carrying a bunch of film equipment in boxes. "Oh, Gail! You're coming with us? That's good, we need all the extra help we can get! Here, take these..." he handed me the boxes and shot past us. 

George looked over at me and chuckled, "You need me to carry those?"

I looked down, slightly embarrassed. "Thanks," I mumbled gratefully.

As everything and everyone began to move outside, I realized just how hectic these events could get. I was shoved and pushed a lot until I was finally able to exit the premises. As soon as I stepped out the door, I found myself face to face with Paul.

He immediately raised his eyebrows in shock as soon as he saw me, "Oh, hello Gail..."

On cue, my heart began racing. I could feel his eye contact pierce through my soul as mere moments felt like hours. Before my lips even got the chance to form a hello, we were interrupted by a couple of roadies coming between us. I could then see that one of them was Mal Evans, personal assistant and old friend of the Beatles. 

His eyes widened in surprise as he chortled, "Gail, hi! I don't think I've ever seen you outside the office!" he ruffled my hair playfully as he walked past. 

I looked over for Paul, but he was already gone, leaving me crestfallen. I saw that everyone was piling into cars; this being my first outing, I didn't know which one to board. 

Thankfully, Brian popped up behind me and eased my growing nerves. "Why don't you go in the dark blue one, with the boys..."

I smiled appreciatively at him and nodded. At least I would be with familiar people, including one in particular. I walked over to the car when they all spotted me and howled with excitement. Neil Aspinall, the driver and another old friend of the Beatles, beamed at me and opened the door.

"Gail! Fancy seeing you here!" he noted as his eyes twinkled in my direction. 

I looked down and bit my lip anxiously. Was everyone going to point out how strange it was that I was actually out and about?

Neil chuckled as he eyed me up and down, "Well, what are you waiting for!? Come on in, m'lady!"

The boys proceeded to howl even louder in the back at his line, though I noticed Paul remained silent. 

"Playing Casanova now, are we, Neil?" he asked dryly.

Feeling a tad bit uncomfortable, I hesitantly slipped in the front seat next to Neil, wishing I could be in the back seat with the rest of them. Neil was a good looking guy, I suppose, but he wasn't my type.  

Soon enough, all the cars started and we were all on our way to the park for the photoshoot. As he drove, Neil took the opportunity to ask me a couple questions.

"So, tell me about yourself, Gail. What is it that you like to do?"

"Just wait'll you hear this, Neil, Abbie here is gonna be the next Hemingway!" John remarked enthusiastically.

My face flushed as I looked down nervously. While his flattery was sweet, it bothered me a little that John was answering for me. 

Neil's eyes widened in intrigue, "Hemingway, huh? So, you like to write?"