Something in the wind [Ethan's POV]

--Ethan's POV

"So, are you interested?" Mr. Phelps asked as I gathered my supplies and meticulously put them into place inside my school bag.

It was an opportunity I wouldn't pass up. Something Mr. Phelps knew when he'd brought it up. "When would it start?"

"In a couple of months, starting at the beginning of August and if it works out, you'll intern with the company for a full year. Are you able to travel?"

Europe for an entire year to intern with one of the most influential businesses around... a multi-billion dollar corporation and I'd get to be working with a handful of people just under the owner.

The thought of Cassie and Seth made me pause and I swallowed. I had a couple of months to think about it, but the idea of bringing it up to them at such a fragile time might not be the best one.

"I'm interested, but I need a few months to—"

Mr. Phelps interrupted, "—tooooo ... to get your priorities in order? Yes of course. Leaving the states is a big decision in and of itself, but I feel you're the right person for it, not to mention it'll shine a new light on this school."

"Of course," I said. "I'll see you tomorrow, Mr. Phelps."

"Yes," the elder man with graying hair nodded. His bushy eyebrows lifting as he patted his front pocket looking for a pen. "Two months, Ethan. They need to know in two months, but there should be no issue when I send them confirmation in a few days. Is that correct?"

I swallowed but bowed my head. "Yes, sir." There wasn't any other answer I wanted to give.

I heaved a sigh. What would Cassie and Seth think? I wanted to go. I knew I would go, but this couldn't have come at a more horrible time. Cassie was trying to have a baby for that couple they'd met at the Wendy's down the street. In a few more months, Seth would be studying for the bar non-stop. Would this be the change that ruined everything?

One thing at a time, just take it one thing at a time.

When I got home, I settled my school bag at the door as I quietly walked towards my room. Seeing them lifted the weight of the future—my future—off my shoulders and I felt like I could breathe again. Seth was bent over a sleeping Cassie, watching her so intently he didn't even notice I'd entered the room. Something had happened, with me, but most importantly, with them. I knew it. I could see it. Hell, I could feel it. And whatever it was the bedroom was saturated with it.

Licking my lips, I shucked my clothes off to my boxers and slowly slipped in on the other side of Cassie. "Have you both been in bed all day?" I whispered, not wanting to wake her up.

When he didn't answer, or tear his gaze away from her I reached forward and nudged his bare shoulder. His startled expression as he registered my presence made me what to kiss his surprise away, but I held my self still. That intangible something was good but unsteady. The almost frightened, deer-in-head-lights look Seth gave me was more telling and familiar than I cared to admit because that's what he'd looked like the night I'd told him I loved him.