Chapter 30

Night set in on us. The soldiers set up a camp in a clearing near a river. Various sound were heard from the forest. Sounds I'd never heard in my life. Most of the soldiers were sleeping in their tents. A few sat around the bonfire that was created. Nikolai held my hand as he told me about the myths of the Elder species.

"The Elder species believe that they were created when a drop of golden ichor fell from the heavens onto a primitive wolf. They believed that it was the blood of the moon. That wolf was turned into a female. In the image of the Titan of the moon, Selene. That female was the first of the Elder species. Her name was 'Renmisia' or in the Elder tongue, Night Bloomer. By day a beautiful female by night a vicious beast. At those times, the human myths were the truth, Renmisia was only capable of changing when she saw the moon, no matter in what stage it was.

But there was of course, evolution. Renmisia mated with a wolf to give birth to other Elder species. No matter with who she mated, human or wolf, she always gave birth to pure breed Elder species. That soon changed after man's evolution began. Mating with humans brought forth, the werewolves. The ones we know that look like normal wolves in their beast forms but have the minds of a man. Renmesia saw this stage of evolution. She knew that soon all the children would be werewolves. And so the Elders started mating only with pure wolves. The babies with the wolves were Elder species. And the babies with the humans were werewolves.

Then a few centuries ago, evolution strikes again and even the babies with the wolves became werewolves and so the Elders started interfamily matings. Brothers mating with sisters. Sisters mating uncles. Uncles mating distant cousins. "

"Eww. " I said. Nikolai nodded.

"But it saved the species. The babies with both parents that were Elders were pure elders, too. Renmisia-"

"She was still alive? "

"She was immortal, so of course ,she was. She, upon seeing the prosperity of her people thought that they would live on for generations to come. And so she travelled from the land of origin, which is Greece, to Russia and from Russia, she went to Georgia to the deepest cave, in modern times its called Krubera or Voronya cave but the Elder species call it 'Renmisiawahyeh' or Night blooming cave. Renmisia curled into herself anf turned into a stone, so that she could be one with the earth and sleep an endless slumber. Like her, the cave glowed when the light of the moon shone over it and hence the Elders called it Renmisiawahyeh. The Soul Shredder's clan of Elder Species has a female named 'Dirt'. She is very old. She was Renmisia's youngest daughter. "

"How do they know that she is truly what she says she is?" Alexei asked that question. He was lying on a log and listening to Nikolai, just like I was. I was surprised that he did not know this story.

"Children of Renmisia have the 'Selemona' or the mark of the moon. It's a birthmark in the shape of a half moon, you know... The moon when it's shaped like a 'C'. It can be anywhere on their body. The Elder female, Dirt, she has one on her wrist, it proves."

"Anyone could have a birthmark shaped like a moon." I said. "Yeah." Alexei agreed.

"No. The Selemona is outlined in blue. Anyone could have a moon shaped birthmark but not a moon shaped birthmark outlined in blue. Only children of Renmisia have them."

"I don't get it though."

"I explained everything in simple words, Alexei."

"What relation does all this Renmisia and Selemona and stuff have with the dwindling numbers of the Elder Species?" I nodded at that. Nikolai signed, rubbing my palm, he started speaking again.

"Renmisia is the mother of the species. All species of Otherworldly creatures are connected to Gaea. Selene, the titan of the moon, was the mother of Renmisia and Gaea, the primordial of the Earth was the mother of Selene. So, even the Elder species are connected to the earth. But their strongest connection was with Renmisia. "