Chapter One

I AM ROME

Copyright © 2017 by Edward Mullen

All rights reserved.

This book is a work of fiction. Any names, characters, places, and events are a product of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to any person (alive or dead) or event is purely coincidental.

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the publisher. The only exception is by a reviewer, who may quote short excerpts in a published review.

Published by Imperium Publishing

Vancouver, BC, Canada

ISBN: 978-1-928196-06-8

1-928196-06-3

Printed in Canada 

****************************** 

Also by Edward Mullen

The Art of the Hustle

Destiny and Free Will

Prodigy

Prodigy Eternal

Prodigy Returns

The Secret Manuscript

EDEN

The Art of the Hustle 2

****************************** 

The society we have described can never grow into a reality... and there will be no end to the troubles of states, or... of humanity itself, till philosophers become rulers in this world, or till those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands.

― Plato, The Republic 

****************************** 

Chapter One

Joe raced through the small town on his old Huffy BMX bike. A master of knowing all the shortcuts in town, he weaved in and out of alleys, racing through parks and parking lots. The rugged tires of his bike became momentarily airborne as he bunny hopped onto a sidewalk, wheelied across, and then descended down a set of stairs on his back wheel.

Sweat soaked through the hard foam of his loosely fitted helmet as he furiously peddled back to the restaurant. Glancing at his watch, he was sure he was going to make it in time. Six deliveries in one hour — that would be a new record for him — but only if he could make it through the restaurant doors in the next two minutes.

It was late so there was hardly any traffic. This made blowing through intersections far less hazardous. With his legs working tirelessly, he was now less than a block away. He glanced at his watch one last time before the final stretch. Thirty seconds remained. Now entering the parking lot of Del Rosario's Pizzeria, he approached a large puddle and cut right through to save time. With wet tires, he skidded to a stop, quickly dismounted, and burst through the back doors and into the kitchen.