Chapter Thirty-Seven

Parked in front of April's house was an old Jeep. Joe grabbed his bike from the front lawn and wheeled it to the curb.

"I'm driving this time," April said, walking around to the driver side.

"No problem," Joe said as he hoisted his bike into the back of the Jeep and made sure it was secure. He then ran around to the passenger side and hopped in.

"All set?" April asked with a smile.

"I think so."

"So where are we heading?"

"To my place."

April pulled away from her house and proceeded down the block. She left her quiet residential neighbourhood and drove through the small town. Joe adjusted the knobs on the radio, but there was nothing but static.

"Still nothing," he said.

"I don't understand," April said, "why would the government shut down communication? That doesn't make any sense to me."

"My guess is they are grasping for the last shred of power they once had. They're worried. Once the votes come in, most of them will be removed from office."

"How does shutting down the internet achieve their goal of retaining power?" April asked.

"Communication is how people gain power. They organize together and have greater strength in numbers. So by restricting communication between people, maybe the government believes it will be enough to prevent people from organizing and sharing ideas easily. The government will probably blame this on the aliens to make people afraid, and will then try to make themselves look like heroes by turning the lights back on."

"Will that work?"

"No, I don't think so. You can only prevent change from happening for so long. Eventually, the momentum will get so great, it would be like trying to stop a tsunami with a squirt gun. If anything, shutting down communication will achieve the opposite as their intended aim. It's such an antiquated, backwards, and bully way of thinking that it will likely just show people how the government tries to use fear to control people. My guess is that if the Simbians' proposal passes, the military will not go down without a fight. I know some of them would rather burn everything to the ground than surrender to some extraterrestrials."

"That's such a dumb way of thinking."

"I agree."

In the distance, a thunderous roar echoed throughout the sky. It grew louder as it approached.

"What's that noise?" April asked.

"I'm not sure, it sounds like—"

Overhead, a formation of F-117 Nighthawks and F-22 Raptors flew by fast and low. The jets traveled at speeds over 1,300 miles per hour, breaking the sound barrier. The noise was enough to set off car alarms and rattle windows.

"Whoa, did you see that?" Joe asked.

"Yeah, I saw it."

"The military is definitely preparing for something."

Just as Joe said that, he noticed a fleet and military vehicles parked in front of the sheriff's office.

"Looks like your dad has his hands full at the moment."

"Yeah, I wonder what they're doing in town."

"Probably because this is where the Simbians made contact with me. I guess the military thinks Rome and his people have a base here or something."

"Do they?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

What started as a few drops on the windshield had turned into a downpour by the time they merged off the highway and onto the long winding dirt road up to Joe's family farm.

"Let me guess, the government seeded the rainclouds to create a storm," Joe said jokingly.

"They can do that?"

"I'm not sure, but I wouldn't put it past them. It would be a genius way to break up the protests and riots."

"Talk about raining on people's parade."

Heavy rain soaked the ground, causing large puddles to form on the now muddy road. The rugged tires of the Jeep managed to find traction as they bounced around the uneven terrain. The old windshield wipers were on overdrive, violently swiveling at the hinge, doing their best to push the water aside. Through the blurry view, April crept slowly toward the house.

"Just pull in front," Joe instructed. "I'm going to talk to my parents quickly."

Joe hopped out of the vehicle while April remained inside with the heater on. The rain pounced on Joe as soon as his foot hit the ground. Pulling his jacket over his head, Joe dashed toward the house.

Making his way up the front steps two at a time, he found shelter under the overhanging roof above the porch. Adjusting his jacket, Joe shook off the rain and opened the door. "Ma? Pa? You home?"

"Joseph, is everything okay? You looked panicked?" Joe's mother asked.

"I'm okay, where's pa?"

"He's putting the animals in the barn."

"Ma, I have April with me, she's waiting outside in her truck. As a precaution, we're going to the bunker. I think you and pa should come too."

"A precaution for what?" his mother asked. "What's going on?"

"Haven't you heard? There's a communication blackout."

"No, I've been busy all day doing housework and your father has been outside working most of the afternoon."

"Apparently, there's a worldwide blackout, the internet is down, the phones are out, and even the TV and radio stations are nothing but static. I spoke with the sheriff earlier and he thinks it's a good idea to go someplace safe in case there's a conflict between the Simbians and the military."

"Oh my," Joe's mother said with a worried look. "Are these Simbians dangerous?"

"No, not at all, ma. I trust Rome. He and his people want to avoid a conflict, but there have been angry mobs of people protesting and rioting in every major city in the world. I don't think we need to worry about that sort of thing happening here, but you never know. On our way we passed by a bunch of military trucks, and a fleet of fighter jets flew overhead. I think they're preparing for a fight so it could get ugly."

Joe's mother walked over to the large window in the living room and peered through the curtains. In the distance, she noticed headlights coming up the driveway toward the house. She couldn't really see who it was, but didn't think too much of it.

"What is it, ma?" Joe asked, still dripping in the foyer.

"There's a truck heading up the drive. You expecting anyone, Joe?"

"No, not at all," Joe said, looking worried.

"Stay inside, ma. I'll go see who it is."