3.1 | Sweet Things

Start from the beginning

"Here," he took the spoon from my hand coming from behind. I was about to shift, when his other hand rested on the counter over the other side. I was ultimately trapped. I looked back to see all of his attention on the batter. He hadn't truly realized what he had done.

I convinced myself to stay, deciding I could always tell him to move if it got too uncomfortable. I knew he wouldn't be offended. The only reason I stayed was because I had to get used to this. I couldn't say I loved him, but still fear any sort of intimacy – atleast not with him. Whilst it was racing my heart beats, I wasn't panicking. So, I did all in my might to not focus on the proximity.

As if realizing I was too silent, he turned his focus from the batter to me. His eyes widened on finding me right in front of him. Realization dawned on him, and he shifted on his feet, changing from his carefree position to rigid. He moved his hand which was around me and trapping me in the middle, thus releasing me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize. Why didn't you say anything?"

I turned around to face him. I was in the same spot, right in front of him. The only change was that I was facing him instead. It made it more of a reality, but I kept a smile to not let it intimidate me. "It's okay."

He looked at me a second longer for confirmation, and when I didn't move but instead started to relax, he stopped feeling guilty and relaxed as well. He smirked then, "So this means that I can..." and started to lean closer.

And I put an end to it, my hand on his chest just for a brief second to halt him and give him a slight nudge back. "You aren't that lucky, Raizada." I told him, making him chuckle.

"I didn't think so either." He spoke the truth. He had to know I wouldn't allow him to touch me inappropriately or kiss me on the lips overnight. And I knew he was just teasing me.

I swatted his arm and jumped up on the counter, the part that Arnav had already cleaned up. He went on to finish the batter to the right consistency. He made a few remarks as he did, giving me tips on when and how to tell it is the right consistency and things like how overbeating the batter can cause it to flatten and keep it from rising in the oven, but was I really paying attention? I was nodding along, but no. All I could do was watch him.

My eyes shifted to his looks. A five o'clock shadow was starting to appear on his jaw. On his sharply defined jaw. His face looked tired from yesterday's aftermath but unless you looked closely, into his eyes, you wouldn't be able to tell because he was giving off all the happy vibes. He probably was the most charming person I had ever seen. Sure, there were actors. But, in my real life, he was one different.

And he was mine.

My fiancé.

When did I get so lucky? A guy who loves his sisters, knows cooking, is so caring and adorable, who could also be scary and dominating in office. Add looks to it and he's just a complete, perfect package. The more I thought of it, the more he was like Armaan, a precise personality that deep down, I always wanted in my husband. I hadn't even asked for it, and I had gotten it.

"Sweet pea?"

Still a bit dazed, I asked dreamily. "Hmm?"

"Taste this and tell me how it is?" He was holding the batter up in front of me.

"Why me?"

"Come on, sweet pea. I can't eat sweet things, you know that."

"You can't have sweet things, and yet you call me sweet pea?"

"Well, it makes sense don't you think? It's not like you let me have you." I gaped at his instant remark, my jaw dropping at this new side of his. Was he always this flirtatious? No wonder he was quite the ladies' man in college. He smirked, lifting the batter towards me again. "Now come on, be a sweet pea and tell me if it needs more sugar."