Chapter 2

THE RIVER WAS LOCATED down a small hill a few feet from the main part of the dude ranch, the dirt road ending about ten paces from the river bank. The river was almost not a river at al, but more of a lake. The swell was massive and clear, with almost no current; an ideal swimming hole. There were grass embankments on either side of it, and there was a little area where sand led into the river.

A crooked tree hung over it, set a little higher up on a bluff. A rope hung from a sturdy branch and a large knot was tied at the end of it. With about a dozen kids already rushing into the water, Hailey watched as a younger boy, about twelve, pulled the rope back up the bluff and wrapped his legs around it. The rope swung over the river with some resistance from the weight and the boy let go, flailing as he fell and penetrated the blue water. Everyone cheered when he surfaced and a short line began for the rope.

Colette and Drew raced down toward the water, throwing off their shirts and stopping in the grass to wiggle out of their shorts. Before they hurried into the enticing water, they turned and waved Hailey over. Hailey looked longingfully at Drew's yellow bikini and Colette's green and blue one, knowing that she was going to get weird looks for jumping in in just her underwear. Hailey walked over slowly, remembering that she was wearing a pair of gray panties that read "Call Me" on the butt. She decided just as she came up on the two that it would be in her best interest not to swim at all.

They asked her if she was coming in as more and more kids ran over the hill and down to the river and she shook her head. To Hailey's relief, that was all they said before running into the delightful looking water. Hailey settled in the grass and rested her chin on her knees. The grass was soft, but she soon noticed her shirt beginning to stick to her back and her pants felt soaked. Why she had worn pants, she wasn't sure, but she was regretting it now. Her hair was plastered to the back of her neck when the last kid jumped into the river swell and she put her forehead on her knees in frustration.

Why hadn't she brought her bikini? She knew she was going to need it. She had even grabbed it and thought, "Nah, I won't need that," and set it back down. And it made her look so good! This was her chance to try turning on Luke, and there she was, in pants and a thick rap shirt. She again became aware of her pasty hair and pulled it into a high ponytail with a hair band she had on her wrist. Again she rested her chin on her knees, watching the kids splashing around in the crystal clear water.

The distant sound of music made her lift her head. The word "salvation" flashed before her eyes and Hailey was happy she would finally get to do something she had at home. Over the hill came Luke, an iPod doc on his right shoulder and a towel on his left. A country song Hailey didn't know was blasting from the doc and she sighed, looking back at the river. It sounded like country rock, and said something about "kicking it in the sticks," but she wasn't sure and she didn't care to know.

She was surprised when Luke set the player and towel beside her and pulled his shirt over his head, exposing his delightful chest. Without a word or look at her, Luke strutted into the water and, when it was deep enough, he dived in. Hailey licked her teeth at the sight of his muscular back. His head popped out of the water and he threw his soaked hair over his head, wiping the water from his eyes. Her eyes widened when she noticed he was leaving the water and heading straight for her, his incredible while teeth flashing at her.

He knelt before her and rested his arms on his knees. "Why aren't you swimming?"

Hailey wanted to lie. Tell him something, anything, but the real reason. But in a moment's flash, she knew she couldn't think of a lie so she told the truth. "I forgot to bring my bathing suit."

Luke nodded and looked down. "Well, you can swim anyway."

Hailey snorted. "Yeah, in my underwear. Isn't that wildly inappropriate." She figured with confidence that he would agree with her, but was stunned when he didn't.