Her Home

After we go up this tall hill the road doesn't go back down it just goes straight and we see a row of bricks making up a fence. When we pull in the driveway Kevin tells the driver some numbers and the big iron gate opens.

We pull through to see a big house surround by a bushes and flowers. It has a big yard with a few trees scattered around. We drive to the front of the house where the front doors are open at the top of the stairs. I notice that my humming has stopped. I haven't made a sound since I saw the big yellow house. I don't know where we are. But it's so big and clean and fancy.

I'm not sure I should go. Would Kevin keep me? Would he let me stay with him? I look up at his face but he's watching the driver come around to open the door. As he gets out I see Fate and Asher walk out the door.

They wait on us to climb the stairs. Their eyes have lots of questions when they see Kevin carrying me. But they don't talk to him. They just smile at me.

"We've been waiting for you." Fate says quietly.

"We live here with our other children. They were like you and we took them in. We are giving you a home. If you want it?" Asher states. He's looking at me expectantly but I don't answer him. I just look past him to the children standing in the door way.

When I squirm Kevin slowly sets me on my feet. Fate and Asher move aside as all nine kids walk closer. They look familiar. I look at Kevin and see that he's watching me. And suddenly I know their names. They were the children in his memory. Kinsley was the girl at the piano. The tall boy Max had the ball. Silas was the boy who fell. Eli was the small boy that called the dog. Then there was Aiden and Hunter hiding in the tree. Lila, Avery and Nora were the girls that ran behind Kinsley to hide behind the big tree together. They were all here, looking at me. Waiting. Waiting for what...I couldn't figure out.