Memories

(Photo above is the character when she was given to the orphanage)            

This is the first time I saw them. I've been in this orphanage for what I feel is my whole life. I have never seen anyone like this couple. They walked in not long ago wearing some fancy clothes. The lady is dressed in a white dress with a rose-colored shoulder wrap and shoes. She is beautiful and being only five years old I couldn't help but stare from where I was hiding between an old toy box and an unsteady shelf with lots of books. The couple stood there for a long time talking to The Headmistress and watching the children through the glass window.

I can't hear what they are talking about but The Headmistress often points to one of us through the glass and the man just shakes his head. This happens a lot. I don't think the man was very happy to be here. The lady though, she has my attention. She looks like an angel with her blonde hair pulled back curls framing her face and a sweet smile.

I saw hair like that in Ms. Maggie's old movies that she wasn't supposed to watch. The Headmistress is really strict and has a lot of rules.

I'm not like the other kids though. I don't remember a time when there wasn't a lot of rules.

Some of the kids talk about having their own room with a mom and dad in a nice house but I didn't have that.

I have never been to school or had teachers to give you work and teach you. I only had me and what I have learned on my own.

There was a boy that slept down the hall. His name was Mike. He told me not to listen to all of those stories because most of them weren't true. He said they were just dreams that covered up the nightmares.

I know what nightmares are. The Headmistress locked me down in the basement one time for taking another roll at dinner. It was so dark and creepy and cold down there...bugs crawled on me all night I was so scared. I was in there for lots of days before she remembered me. After I got out I didn't sleep for a while. But when I did...I dreamed bad things. Shadow people looking for me, wanting to hurt me, to take me back to darkness where I was alone.

That's how I met Mike and Mark. They came to help me stay awake when the nightmares would come. They also keep me safe. They always tell me the truth. The truth about what the Headmistress does with the pretty children and why there are always children coming in and out. I am the youngest child in the orphanage. The children never stay after they turn 18 but you never see the children younger than 9. Mark and Mike are not sure where I came from. They don't know why The Headmistress hasn't gotten rid of me either. Mike said that young ones go fast for a lot. But The Headmistress doesn't want people to see me when they come. Mike thinks she could get into a lot of trouble. That something bad could happen to her or even me if someone found out that I'm here.

When parents didn't want their children anymore whether it's because the children are bad or because the parents couldn't care for them they bring them to The Headmistress at the orphanage. The Headmistress takes it upon herself to correct these children. Mike said he heard her say she was "saving our souls from hell". I don't know what hell is but I don't think I want to go there. The Headmistress sure does yell about it a lot. It sounds like a terrible place. All that fire and pain. Maybe she should send them some water. Or maybe tell the firefighters where it is. I bet they would help.

Every so often a couple will come to choose a special child for their new family. Not many people can have children on own anymore. So, all the children who aren't wanted anymore are now wanted by someone. Sometimes these places you were taken too were really bad and dangerous. Sometimes the people were real mean and scary. At least that's what Mike told me. Before he was chosen by some people. I miss him. I hope Mark doesn't leave me too.