SEPTEMBER

Harry is sitting in the modern office of his management. The atmosphere in the room is cold because most of the furniture is made out of glass and the combination of glass and clean, shining surfaces is something Harry doesn't like at all. His job seems to be only fun but actually that's not true. Harry wishes that people could see what goes on behind closed doors. He wishes people wouldn't treat him like an object, like a property. If they would be able to see him now they would know why. Harry isn't that person who's described in the media, not at all. He is a normal guy with feelings, he has good and bad days and at the moment he's feeling incredibly insecure. His contract is full of traps he had never thought that such things existed. Having meetings with important people who are involved in One Direction's management belong to the things Harry doesn't like at all because it usually means something unpleasant will happen. Harry is nervously twisting his hair while he's waiting for his PR manager.

Suddenly the door opens and there he is: Mr. Stevens. Mr. Stevens is a true businessman in his thirties. Harry has never seen him wearing something else than elegant suits, most of them expensive ones from famous designers. At first sight you might think he's a nice man but Harry knows him better. After what he's done to him with inventing the Caroline Flack story he's sure that Mr. Stevens is a very cold person who has no regrets. Money is everything for him, everything - and that's why he is in this position, that's clear. Definitely, Mr. Stevens is a terrible person, persistent, cruel, unscrupulous and cold.

'I'm sorry for being late, Mr. Styles. I had another important meeting and we couldn't finish in time.' Mr. Stevens says, shaking Harry's hand. He never calls him Harry but Harry wouldn't want it either way. 'Good you found the time to come over.' Harry nods in silence. Had he have another possibility? No, of course not. 'Would you like a glass of water?' Mr. Stevens asks and Harry nods. That's not a nice gesture here. It has to be done, that's why he asked and because Harry is polite, he said yes. 'So, as you have probably noticed, we have been on everyone's lips for a long time.' We. It's not we, it's me and my friends, Harry thinks but he doesn't bother saying anything. Everything about Mr Stevens is fake, Harry can't stand him but forces a little smile. He hates it when Mr. Stevens says 'we' as if he was part of the band. As if he's the one who gets paped. As if he's the one who has to work until midnight after a show, as if he's the most important after all. 'The story with Ms Flack was a pretty good one, it got us the attention we needed. People were buying it, totally.'

'You're the perfect story, Mr. Styles.' He looks at Harry with a strange, almost piercing look that makes Harry lower his head a little. He's remaining silent, trying not to show what's going on inside of him. Mr. Stevens continues talking. 'Now people think you're into older women what is nice for us.' he says with an almost evil grin. 'We have to improve your womanizer image from now on. The stunt with Ms Flack was the first step. You're the prettiest one out of the boys and that is and will be your bonus. It shouldn't be hard to get that into people's minds as most of the girls have already noticed you. It will be easy to get this going.' During this monologue, Harry's fingers have become ice-cold. 'I'm not a womanizer.' Harry says barely audible. 'It's business so you have to seem like one out in public.' Mr Stevens doesn't look into Harry's eyes because he's too busy typing something into his computer. 'You are going to have a meeting with your new stylist, Jenna. She's the best in this business and brings out the best of people.' he says and gives her a quick call. While he's still talking on the phone, Mr Stevens prints out a few sites. Harry is afraid what this will be.

After his call, he folds his hands and looks into Harry's eyes. His look is serious. 'You are going to get a beard.' he says, pointing at the documents.

'A beard? Like here?' Harry says and looks questioning at Mr Stevens, rubbing the skin of his chin. Mr Stevens lets out a short but loud laugh.

'No, Mr Styles, not that kind of beard. A beard is a girl that just plays the role of your girlfriend you know? Like you have to 'date' in public and make different appearances so that there will be enough proof of your 'relationship'. He air-quotes the words 'date' and 'relationship'. Here's the special contract you will need.' Mr Stevens puts the documents in front of Harry. 'You can read it later. It's a PR stunt, like the one with Ms Flack was but we didn't hire her as a beard, it was just a coincidence with her and we used it for our profit.' Harry frowns. Caroline was nice and funny but it definitely wasn't a pleasant time for Harry because since then has always been asked if he liked older girls or women. And now he should get a beard? It is so hard for him to sit there and not to lose his composure. Mr Stevens seems to notice Harry's uneasiness.

'There's no other way. If people knew your sexuality we would lose a lot of money. Young girls usually don't fancy gay boys.' He says while he's folding his hands. 'They want boy who are available, who are straight.' His words sound so cold.

'But that's who I am.' Harry adds quietly. Mr Stevens hits the surface of his desk with his hand.

'But that's not what people want and it won't help us with earning money so don't complain about it anymore. Just cope with it! You have signed your contract and if you want to lose everything you have achieved until now you can go!' Mr Stevens almost yells at Harry who can't understand why this man treats him the way he does. Harry almost feels like crying. This can't be true. This is hell. He has to hide his sexuality just for the job? And he has to do PR stunts for a long time? Harry feels his heart sinking.

'So I have to pretend I love her? What if I don't want to do it or if something wrong happens?' Mr Stevens narrows his eyes, then looks at Harry with a serious look and shakes his head.

'I can repeat it for you. You have signed your main contract, the clause can be found under paragraph twenty-four and you are going to sign this new one here, too. You have to and I promise, there won't be any mistakes. We can turn everything around just as we want.' His tone is kind of mocking. This is the part of the business Harry doesn't like. He has to lie about certain things, it's all about money and nobody cares about Harry's feelings. He's just like a robot. Harry feels as if he's getting a slight headache. 'You are going to meet her a few times first before you start dating her. The press is already informed and be aware of the fact that I can call you anywhere, even in your holidays. It's an exception, a very important one in business.' Mr Stevens tells Harry and hands him a pen. 'This is a supplement to your main contract.' Harry takes the document with shaking hands. Thirty pages with rules and conditions. It would take Harry years to understand every word but in general it's unbelievable what he reads. His head is swimming, the headache is getting stronger. He has to do PR-stunts on a regular basis, depending on the need, even in his free time. Mr Stevens wasn't joking about that. He has at least to hold hands, hug and kiss her in public. He'll get media training to get used to questions that could be asked about this issue. He will get paid more for this. But Harry would rather not take the money if he could escape somehow but he can't.

'Sign it on the last page.' Mr. Steven says and hands Harry a pen.

'What?' he almost yells, forgetting where he is and who is sitting in front of him. 'Taylor? She is going to be my beard?' Mr Stevens nods with a cold look.

'It's also good for her career to be seen with you so it's logic that we chose her for you.' Harry is close to tears again. What is this? Taylor is an amazing songwriter but Harry doesn't like her since she made a sarcastic comment about his relationship with his mum. And now he's supposed to be her fake boyfriend or – she has to play the role of his fake girlfriend?

'The only ones who are allowed to know Taylor is your beard is your close family. No aunts, no uncles, no cousins, no friends. If something comes out, you'll get in huge trouble. Is that clear for now?' Mr Stevens asks harshly and Harry nods. Fuck. After spending another hour at the office, Harry can finally go home. His head is buzzing and he can't remember anything from the last minutes there because this whole situation made him dizzy. When he comes home, his mum notices that something's wrong but she lets him go upstairs without asking him any questions because she's used to it. Harry will talk to her later, she knows that. He isn't allowed to tell people about this bearding, everything has to look real, he's unhappy with it and what for? Just to earn more money and hide his sexuality? It's disgusting. What the fuck is wrong with this music industry?