27. Built on Hope

Start from the beginning

Talia attempted to steady her breathing as she led the soldiers to the building. What would Cassian do? She held her blaster close to her and pushed through the entrance. A few bucket heads had stayed behind to guard.

Wrong move.

Talia and the others fired immediately, hitting the troopers multiple times. With a loud thud, they collapsed onto the ground. She snatched up one of their E-11 blaster rifles and continued onward. If Cassian and Kaytoo got overwhelmed in there...

No. She couldn't think about that now.

After navigating the way through the winding halls up towards higher floors, they finally came across the room the rebels were in. Stormtroopers filled the hall, trying to figure out how to push in. Some laid down cover fire while they discussed it.

"We should just throw some thermals in there and call it a day."

"And blow this half of the floor up? No way."

"Guys. Come on. Let's just push in. They're outnumbered."

"Not anymore," Talia whispered to herself. She motioned to one of the other soldiers, who held some thermal detonators on his belt. He threw some into the hall, causing confusion and a lot of screaming to occur. Talia stepped into view and shot both blasters, aiming for the troopers as best she could. With never dual wielding before, it was proving quite difficult.

Storm troopers dropped like flies as more and more of the soldiers shot at them. It wasn't until they heard loud marching footsteps behind them that they pushed in further into the hall. More stormtroopers were coming, and if they didn't push soon, they would be sandwiched between the two. Talia continued firing until she was able to get into the room.

Cassian spotted her quickly and a sigh of relief left his lips. He and Talia ran to one another and examined each other for blaster wounds. "Are you hurt?" They asked simultaneously.

Before a reply could be uttered, a thermal detonator rolled into the room.

Kaytoo tackled both of them just before it went off. "C-Cass-ian?" He whizzed and whirred for a moment, until the light in his eyes faded to black.

Talia yelped at the immense weight now bearing down on her burned flesh. She worked with Cassian to push Kaytoo off of them and forced herself to sit up. She immediately grabbed the tool set out of her boot and examined the powered down droid. If they were going to resort to throwing in thermals, it was only a matter of time before they rushed in thinking they had the upper hand.

The bruises and swelling of Talia's injured arm became more visible as she stretched over Kaytoo. Cassian grabbed the E-11 blaster as worry filled his eyes. "Are you okay to be doing that?" He reached down to touch his abdomen lightly and grimaced, but averted his actions just as quick.

"Focus on the new troopers. We don't have time." It was nice that he was worrying about her, but right now, they had to worry about getting the hell out of dodge. She ushered him to pay attention to the door and grimaced from the pain of moving. The more she slowed down, the more the pain flared up.

Cassian shot repeatedly, the bolts going through the open space and into the hall. Some troopers would duck their heads in and shoot when they thought the coast was clear, and end up getting nailed in the skull by Cassian. Shouting from the Gimmellian rebels echoed through the hall, and the stormtroopers turned their attention to them. General Lerga glanced over at Cassian, while both of them watched the door intensely.

In a frantic burst, Talia's hands fumbled with the wiring in Kaytoo's chest. Fragments of metal had forced itself through his side and the back of his head. He had fully protected them from the blast. "Come on, come on..." There was no way they could lug him back to the ship. He'd be too heavy, especially in the middle of a battle. Something sparked in his chest and Talia recoiled quickly.