29. Someone to You

Start from the beginning

"Wow, Karter Mitchell. I knew you ran with the affluent, but I had no idea you were in such close company with the beau monde."

I rolled my eyes at him. Josh was well aware I didn't like to be placed in the same category as so many of the wealthy people I had been grouped with my entire life. "The Merlyns are known for being outrageously ostentatious. I just happen to be collateral damage."

"Well, I'll take any chance to dress like James Bond. Consider me excited." He decided, straightening up and stepping away from the wall he had been leaning on. He smiled a coquettish goodbye and I rolled my eyes once again as he left to return to his office.

"Wow, lunch yesterday and a fancy party tonight." I heard from the next desk over. "Getting cozy with the boss, huh?" I shot a fake glare at Patricia and she chuckled, both at her own teasing and my response.

"We're just working together on a project."

"Mm-hm. Project." She mocked, framing the words with air quotes.

"It's not like that, Patricia." I laughed.

"Oh, come on!" She said accusingly. "Look at that man and tell me you haven't once found yourself drifting off into those dreamy eyes of his."

"I know I have." A bold voice said from across from our desks. Another column writer, Mark, had chimed in on the conversation. He had a habit of "overhearing" (i.e. eavesdropping), but I couldn't manage to be upset at him ever, especially since his favorite cardigan was flamingo patterned and I'll just skip any fancy explanation and just say I found that amazing. "If we played on the same team, I would be all over that tall, dark, and handsome."

Both Patricia and I snicked, shaking our heads. "Look, if we're talking about this based purely on physical attributes, yes, I would have his babies. Happily. But I don't think the connection's there." I decided, much to Patricia's disappointment.

"You know who I'd like to connect with? Oliver Queen

"You know who I'd like to connect with? Oliver Queen." Mark added from across the desks, lounging back in his office chair and staring off dreamily. After a couple moments, he sat back up and leaned forward to snatch a framed picture off my desk. It was a picture of me and Oliver not too long after he had gotten back from the island that Mark grabbed to oggle. I had chosen to bring a few pictures to decorate my station and it just happened to be one of the recent pictures I had on hand. "If he ever switches teams, I better be the first person you tell, Karter!" He declared, pointing crossly at me.

"You'll be my first call." I laughed. "But I might not even be the first to know. He hasn't exactly been very forthcoming recently. He's been hiding a lot of secrets."

"There are only three things men hide. Women, criminal activity, and sexuality. Since we've already ruled out the third one, that must mean your boy, Ollie, is either hiding a secret girlfriend or he's Starling City's most wanted." Mark rattled off, all while multitasking and continuing his work on a new article.