23. Welcome Home Pt. II

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T H R E E

WELCOME HOME PT. II

////////////////////////

A/N: Okay, I know I've said this at the beginning of several chapters, but, uh... I hope you still have those seatbelts ready...

"Moira, really, I can stay at my own apartment," I assured her as she led me through the door of the Queen's mansion, which was being held open by a man in a suit, whom I didn't recognize. In his free hand, he held the strap of my duffle bag. Whoever the guy was, he had insisted he carry the bag for me, even though it was just a short walk from the car to the house.

"Nonsense. You're recovering from a gunshot wound, for god sake!" Moira argued. "You just got out of the hospital. You'll stay here where there are people to help you through your recovery." Moira declared, folding her hands in front of her pencil skirt.

"It wasn't even that bad! The bullet missed all my organs, there was no major internal bleeding, and the doctors even said I'm recovering significantly faster than expected!" I responded, but it was clear Moira wasn't budging. Her decision was final and that decision was that I was staying at the Queen's residence for another few weeks while I recuperated from the wound I obtained at the stock benefit.

The man that had held the door open for us stepped into another room and I looked questioningly at Moira. "Who is that?"

"Oliver's new bodyguard, Rob Scott." She answered.

"Wait, what happened to Diggle?"

"He quit. He said he... didn't approve of how Oliver spent his evenings. Particularly how they always start with Oliver ditching him."

"Karter!" I heard Thea cry from the top of the stairs before she jogged down the steps and ran towards me. She gingerly hugged me, careful of the bandages wrapped around my abdomen under my shirt. "God, I was so scared! I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Me too, Speedy," I responded, returning the embrace. "Where's Oliver?" I wondered as I released Thea and glanced around, noticing his absence.

"Beats me. He slipped his bodyguard once again." Thea answered, crossing her arms over her chest as if she was annoyed with her older brother.

"Wow, I understand the definition of a "mansion," but this room is bigger than my entire apartment." I turned around to find Josh standing in the doorway of the mansion, which Oliver's new bodyguard, Rob, was holding open.

"Mr. Nolan! Please, come in!" Moira called, motioning him into the room. I hadn't realized that they had been introduced to each other, but Moira smiled warmly at him and welcomed him in. Josh was dressed in a light brown leather jacket over a buttoned-up flannel and dark wash jeans. As usual, his hair was neatly combed and there was groomed stubble across his face.

"Is this a bad time?" Josh asked when he pieced together that we had just arrived at the mansion.

"Of course, not!" Moira assured him. Behind Josh, Rob closed the door and quietly crossed the foyer to bring my bag to my room.

"Do you two know each other?" I wondered, glancing between Josh and Moira.

"We met at the hospital, actually," Moira told me.

"Wait, you were at the hospital?" I asked Josh.

"Yeah, I wanted to check in on you." He said as if the answer was obvious. I gave him an appreciative smile.

"He brought you flowers," Thea said in a sing-song voice, linking her arm through mine and looking up suggestively at me.

"Wow, that was really sweet of you. Thank you." I told Josh and he humbly nodded, habitually tucking his hand into the front pocket of his well-fitting jeans.