17. One Good Thing

C H A P T E R    S E V E N T E E N

ONE GOOD THING

////////////////////////

"Every time I watch this show... I just can't help but think about the body count." I commented, standing up from the couch and grabbing the half empty bowl of popcorn from the coffee table. Tommy sat up and used the TV remote to turn off the finished episode of the Walking Dead. I carried the bowl to the kitchen and set it in the sink.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, they're not technically bodies. Like, human bodies." Tommy said, walking into the kitchen and standing behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulder, kissing my neck.

I chuckled, nudging his head off my shoulder. "Don't start. I have to get back to the Queen's to change before the ceremony." I reminded him, shrugging out of his grasp and heading towards the door of Tommy's apartment, where I slipped my Converse on and grabbed my coat from the rack next to the door. I turned around to see Tommy giving his best pouty face and puppy dog eyes. "Hey, don't give me that look! We just binge watched half a season of the Walking Dead. If that's not quality time, I don't know what is!"

Tommy found the humor in my joke and laughed, shaking his head. "Alright. I'll see you there." He rested his hand on my waist to lean forward slowly and plant a deep kiss on my lips. I leaned into it before teasingly pulling away.

"See you there," I responded and backed out the door. He stood in the open doorway, watching me traipse down the hall.

"Hey!" Tommy called after me. "Tonight. You and me– we find out if they make it to the CDC!" I turned around so I was walking backward, giggling.

"It's a date!" Tommy smiled and closed the door when I reached the elevator.

I drove the rental car back to the Queen's mansion to change and make myself look a little more presentable. It seemed like ever since I had gotten back from California, all I had done was dress up and go to parties, but returning to Starling City also meant returning to my old life. The overly extravagant parties were just one side effect that I had chosen to be back.

I quickly showered and dried my hair with a white towel that I had dug out of one of the boxes in my living room, which had been shipped from California. The other shipments were being delivered to my new apartment, which was still far from move-in ready.

I traded the towel that was wrapped around my body for a fitted royal blue dress and black pumps. I channeled the small bit of professionalism I had in me and styled my hair up, exposing black earrings that I was lucky to even find in a pair in all the chaos of boxes. After applying simple makeup– natural colored eyeshadow, mascara, and red lipstick, namely– I slipped on a black blazer and grabbed my purse.

I met the Queens– or Thea, Moira, and Walter, to be correct– by a stage that was set up in front of a giant sign that read "Robert Queen Memorial Applied Sciences Center," which was the building currently being constructed behind it. On the stage, there was a podium with a microphone. To the side of the stage stood Thea and Moira. Though I wasn't a Queen and had never been married to a Queen, Moira had requested I stand with them on the stage, as well.

"Where's Oliver?" I asked Moira as I stepped up the stairs on the side of the stage and stood next to her and Thea.

"I wish I knew." She whispered back, both worry and frustration in her voice. "Oh, good luck, darling," Moira said to Walter as he climbed the stairs, a golden shovel in his hand.

"Thank you, dear." He said and kissed Moira on the cheek before progressing to the podium.

The large crowd around the stage quieted and Walter leaned towards the microphone.