25. Something to Fight For

C H A P T E R    T W E N T Y - F I V E

SOMETHING TO FIGHT FOR

////////////////////////

A/N: Sorry I haven't update in a few days! I've been without WiFi, but luckily I was still able to write some! This chapter is a lot of character interactions and kind of fluff-ish, but it's important fluff

A soft knock on the open hospital door distracted me from the news. Even though I was in the hospital, I was determined not to let it distract me from my research and work for the paper. Diggle removed his knuckle from the door and sent me a warm smile. I picked up the remote from next to my hip and turned off the TV, even though the volume was already very low.

"It okay if I come in?" He wondered and I smiled gratefully, nodding my head. He stepped into the room, nodding to the small bouquet in his hand, "I brought you flowers. I didn't know what you like so I just got you a mix." Diggle neared the side of the hospital bed and set the round glass vase on the bedside table.

As he did, I attempted to push myself up so I was sitting up more, but as I did, sharp, hot pains tore through my abdomen and I winced in pain, clenching my teeth. "Easy, easy" Dig coaxed, helping back down into a comfortable position on the bed.

"Thanks. And thank you for the flowers. They're beautiful and it was really sweet of you." I said with an appreciative tone and expression as I began absentmindedly fiddling with the wire attached to the small monitor on my finger. "I was really sorry to hear about you leaving the bodyguard position."

"Actually, the job's mine again. I'm in charge of watching after that knucklehead again." Dig joked and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"So where is the knucklehead then?" I wondered.

"He, uh, gave me the day off," Diggle responded. "Is it okay if I sit?" He asked, pointing to the chair pushed to the side of the room, which Tommy had been sitting in earlier.

"Of course." I invited.

"The Queens are sure glad you're awake." He said, taking a seat after dragging the chair a little closer. Dig wasn't dressed in his usual suit. Instead, he wore a black polo shirt under a dark brown suede jacket and dark jeans. "I am, too," he added.

"Thanks, John. It really means a lot to me that you're here."

"I imagine you've had a lot of company. Just say the word and I'll leave to let you rest."

"No, I'm actually glad you're here. Tommy was here earlier, but other than that, it's just been a bunch of nurses and doctors." I informed him. "I was getting kind of bored."

"What about the Queens? Moira, Walter, Thea...?" Dig questioned.

"Moira and Walter had a meeting. They insisted they reschedule, but I wouldn't let them. And I wasn't letting Thea miss another day of school." I explained to him and he nodded in understanding.

"What about Oliver?"

"I haven't heard from him, actually. Not since before he was arrested and I passed out again."

"He's probably just busy after the trial and then getting things worked out for the club," Diggle assured me.

"Yeah, I guess."

"I'll tell you what. Next time I see him, I'll tell him to get his ass down here to keep you company." Dig promised and I smiled.

"No, it's alright. He's got his own stuff going on. He has no obligation to be here."