Chapter 4

Breath Away

Chapter 4

Josh walked into Kate's apartment and shoved past her. "Is he here?" Josh asked.

"Is who here?!? And why are you here? Get out!" Kate demanded.

Josh reached behind his back and pulled a gun on her. Kate's gun was on the other side of the room and so was her phone.

"Kate, how could you leave me for him?" Josh exclaimed.

"Josh, put the gun down first. Then we can talk." Kate tried to say as she slowly raised her hands up to her head.

"No. He doesn't deserve you but I do. I'm a doctor. He is a writer who thought you were pretty and made a book about you. I saved your life and all I get is a breakup?" Josh screamed.

He grabbed Kate's arm and forced her onto the ground. She was down on her knees. She looked like she was kneeling or begging for him to let go. Josh kicked Kate in the ribs. It sent a rushing pain up her spin and neck as she whimpered in pain.

Josh hesitated but kicked her again. "That's how I felt when you broke up with me Kate. You left me when you were scared and in need." Josh said as he reached down and grabbed Kate.

He grabbed her by her hair. She stood up but the pain was still burning in her side. Josh pushed Kate to the door with the gun over her left hip. "Now we are going to walk down stairs and get into my car without any problems. Right?" Josh commanded.

Kate did not say anything.

She looked away from him but he pulled her face toward him as he dug the gun into Kate's side.

A tear slipped down her cheek but she nodded her head. "Good" he said and they left Kate's apartment.

~ Rick's Loft ~
Rick was making dinner because it was almost 4:30 and dinner would probably take him an hour. Kate left an hour ago for her apartment and isn't back yet.

Did she really need that much stuff or did she need a little space? Was I pushing too hard? Did she get scared and run away?

He decided to call Kate's phone. Three rings and he got her voicemail. He leaves her a message but grabs his coat and keys before he hung up the phone. He was out the door in 10 seconds. He did not want Kate to be scared of this: their relationship. Was it real?

Rick was impatient in the elevator. He charged through the lobby to his car. He drove to Kate's apartment and when he got there he did not bother taking the elevator. "Too slow" he told himself.

He raced up the stairs and found himself in front of Kate's door.

He knocked. No answer. He knocked again. Nothing. He tried to open the door. It was unlocked. He stepped inside slowly. He did not want to walk in on Kate or anything.

"Kate, where are you at? I was starting to get worried." Rick asked. He got no response. "Kate are you here?" He called. Nothing. He found her badge, gun, and phone on the bed.

"KATE?!?" Rick screamed.

Nothing.