Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The boxes were just sitting in the sink staring back at her. She finally opened one. She pulled out the test and stared at for a while more before using it.

What if I am pregnant? Are we ready to try again? Kate thought to herself.

She cracked open the second box. Eventually she had all six tests laid out on the bathroom counter. all used. She had to wait five minutes.

Five minutes seemed like forever. It seemed like the clock was ticking slower and slower as it got closer and closer to the twelve. Kate sat on the toilet seat with her head in her hands. Praying for the right answer. Whatever that would be.

We are not even married. Kate thought to herself as she waited for the timer on her phone to go off.

Five minutes had finally passed. Kate's stomach twisted as she stood up to check the tests. She looked down.

All positive. She was pregnant.

An overwhelming feeling of joy, sadness, and fear rushed over her. She had to sit back down on the toilet seat to steady herself. A tear slipped from her check. She did not even know she was crying. She was excited but terrified. She did not know how to be a mother. She only had one for a short time of her life before she died. She already had one shot at this and failed.

Once she gathered up enough courage to stand up, she unlocked and opened the bathroom door. She emerged from the room with her hands in her robe pockets and head down. She shuffled over to where Rick was sitting. He had been waiting for over twenty minutes since he brought home the bag.

"So?" He asked with optimism on his face but fear in his eyes

Kate hesitated before giving him the news "We're pregnant.'" She responded.

A smile emerged on to Rick's face but it slowly faded when he looked over at Kate, whose face was blank. "Are we happy about this?"

Kate sat on the couch with a blank face. "I don't know if I'm ready yet." Kate pulled her knees up to her chest and gazed out of the window of the loft.

Rick leaned in closer but still gave Kate her personal space. He grabbed her hand and said "Kate I know that moving on is scary but if we were given the opportunity to become parents, then I think we should take it. I cannot guarantee that nothing bad will happen to this baby but I can tell you that I will do anything and everything in my power to make sure he stays safe." He leaned closer and Kate rested her head on Rick's shoulder.

"He?" Kate questioned.

"Yeah. I have a strong feeling it's a boy but then again, I said the same thing when Alexis was born." Rick chuckled.

The joke made Kate smile but it quickly faded away. "I want to wait, Rick. I want to wait until we get to a certain point in the pregnancy to tell everyone. Promise me you will not tell anyone?" Kate demanded.

"I promise." as he crossed his heart.

"Not even your mother." Kate added.

"I make no such promises." Rick said. He stood up and reached for Kate's hand. He pulled her up and spun her around the room chanting "We're gonna have a baby... We're gonna have a baby..."

They danced around for a while just holding each other in each others' arms. Rick held Kate close and whispered in her ear. "I love you, Mommy"

"I love you too, Daddy." Kate responded.

She pulled away slightly to kiss him. His lips were like silk on hers. He pulled her body closer as their kiss grew stronger. They pulled apart before going any further.

"What time is it anyway? I'm starving." Kate exclaimed.

Rick laughed. "I'll take you out to dinner. Let's get dressed and we'll go to that Chinese restaurant up the street."