Chapter 19: Silk and Gold

Ash tried not to grumble as Natasha made her stand up on the two-foot high stool. Natasha noticed this and critiqued, "Ash, I know you don't like this but they're King Loki's orders. Just be glad he doesn't have your servants dress you like they're supposed to. You know this is their job."

She pouted, "I know that! I don't care who's job it is! He can't force me to do these things!" They were in silence after that one statement. They both knew that Loki could force any of them to do anything. Natasha sighed as she slid the light blue silk dress over her head. It was highly Asgardian and made Ash look much like a Goddess. Ash stood with her arms down at her sides, looking in the mirror as Natasha fixed the long dress, making sure the long flowing back end of the dress was situated in a way that wouldn't wrinkle it. Ash suddenly sighed in their tense silence and asked, "How are you suddenly so good at this sort of thing?"

Natasha was grateful for the topic change as she answered softly, "In the week that you were gone his Majesty informed us of what would happen if we would fail him again. He instructed us directly on what his expectations for us were. I knew that none of us knew what we would be doing. We weren't servants. We were agents and fighters. I requested for us to properly learn what he wanted from us. It was our only choice, so here we are." Her pace had slowed as she smoothed the silky fabric. She jumped as the door suddenly opened behind her. She jumped to attention but calmed down as soon as she realized it was only Tony.

He smiled at her and Ash before announcing, "His Majesty requests that Ash be ready for lunch. He's giving a few minutes."

Ash gave a very audible sigh to which Natasha and Tony exchanged worried glances. Tugging the fabric from below her feet, she stepped down from the stool as she walked out onto the balcony and stopping before the railing. The wind outside slightly took her flowing dress. She heard Natasha comment, "Ash, you're still not done dressing." She gestured to the gold cape and other gold accessories that went with it. "We should finish so you don't keep the King waiting."

She glanced back at Natasha and muttered, "I'm not hungry..." They exchanged another worried glance as they both looked at Ash.

Tony added, "Uh... Kiddo- er... Miss, King Loki wasn't happy at your rejection to eat your breakfast this morning. I'd suggest joining him-"

"Tony..." She looked over the railing with her hair brushing over her shoulders. "Please... Tell him I'm not going."

There was hesitance before Tony bowed his head and walked back to where Loki was waiting for Ash with a few other guests.

Natasha walked behind Ash and placed a hand on her shoulder, "You know he's really trying for you. He's giving you a choice-"

"What kind of a choice is this?" She interrupted her with her arms crossed. "'Do what I say or else'. I haven't got anything else to lose. Maybe if I-"

She stopped speaking as she noticed the way Natasha was looking at her. Natasha began to brush Ash's hair as she made it as neat as possible, using gold pins to hold the left side of her hair from her eyes. Natasha whispered into her ear, "Before Thor turned into Loki's slave, Thor came up with a plan. He thinks that you'd be able to get close to King Loki. He thinks you could bring him from the darkness that he trapped himself in. He won't give up the throne, but we all know you could make it better for everyone, even yourself." She straightened up, continuing to fix Ash's hair as she spoke, "A resistance won't get you anywhere. You know that, don't you?"

"She will learn." A dark voice said from behind them. Natasha turned and faced Loki as he commanded, "Leave us."

She glanced at Ash before turning and nodding her head as she swiftly walked past him with the brush in her hand. "Yes, King Loki."