Chapter 18: Resistance is Futile

Ash didn't want to lead him back to the subway where the families that had taken her in were. He had found her and was pursuing her where ever she went. She had gotten more physically fit in the past week that she had been living underground. The temperature had dropped since her first day there. She had no idea New York could be such a cold place, regardless of the Frost Giants. The twelve-year-old boy she had met her first day there took her to a store which was conveniently easy to break into. They had to avoid Frost Giants and other such security but it was simple to shadow themselves with her magic that she had been practicing. It was fine since now she had black sweat pants, black converse, along with a white long-sleeved shirt with a dark brown jacket to cover it. Fur lined the hood of the jacket.

But aside from that, today, her walk through the city didn't go unnoticed. He was there and he wasn't happy. With her illusions, she managed to lose him before going back to the subway where those families were. She'd protect those innocent people with her last breath- and maybe this was her last breath. Upon entering what she considered her non-permanent home, she let out a screech of fear. Her eyes were wide as her hand flew to cover her mouth.

It was him... and he was there killing them all like animals with his staff. He turned and looked at her with malicious intent in his eyes. She tried to turn, tried to run, but her legs simply wouldn't obey her. She squeezed her eyes shut as his scepter was raised towards her and she released a final scream before waking up feeling someone shaking her arm violently.

She sat up breathlessly from her position on the floor and looked at the girl on the side of her who asked, "Are you going to scream your lungs out or something?! Three times this week! Three! You must have serious mental issues with that guy or something." Ash immediately recognized her as her friend, Emily. She was surprised Emily hadn't gone insane with how often she was awoken from a terrifying dream. She made a mental note to stay away from taking any more naps. They obviously weren't mentally healthy for her.

Ash rubbed her head as she muttered, "Sorry, Em... Maybe I should just go for a walk and get some more supply of food for everyone..."

"Did that yesterday."

Ash glanced at her. "Well, maybe I could get some more blankets."

"You did also do that Monday."

"What about-"

"Ash, you did everything you already could do for us and we can't ask you for more! We could probably survive through a zombie apocalypse down here." She laughed a bit as she pat Ash on the shoulder. "Hey, look, you deserve a day. Whaddaya say? Wanna go for a walk?"

Ash seemed hesitant but quietly said, "Alright... But don't draw attention to yourself like last time. It's draining to create even an illusion of myself, but to create an illusion of two people is complicated."

"Not to worry, buddy! I've got this down packed since last time! Let's go! We're losing sunlight." Emily pulled Ash up by her hand and they put on their jackets, cautiously walking from the subway. They then began a casual walk down the street. Ash stretched her arms out as she was grateful for this walk. She really did need to get out of that subway.

Two SHIELD agents suddenly approached them and Ash gave Emily a warning glance. One of the agents asked in a gruff male voice, "What is your identification and destination?"

Ash's mouth was open but nothing came out as though she was at a loss for words. Emily stepped in front of Ash and announced, "I'm Emily. My friend and I are on our way to purchase food from the store on the other end of the city. It's quite a walk so we should be on our way."

"Friends identification." The other agent pointed to Ash.

Emily quickly piped up, "Amber. Her name is Amber. No need to worry about her. She's as stupid as any other Earthling." Ash did a facepalm at the name. She almost couldn't stand how stupid the alibi itself was.