2.24 | Midnight Wishes + Lillies

Start from the beginning

At the end presentation, he stiffly nodded. "I don't think she will." As I take the plate in my palm, he announced, "And I am banning you from the kitchen."

"Excuse me?" I stopped, turning in his direction with raised brows.

He scoffed, "What else do you expect? You always come out with an accident."

"Whatever you say." I answered, not fighting him on this. After his little show of expression, I was willing to accept this. I passed him the plate, "Here."

He eyed it curiously, getting the hint that I wanted him to take it to her to wish her happy birthday once the clock struck 12. He suggested otherwise, "You made it. You should wish her."

Again, I didn't argue. We both made it to her room. He opened the door ajar and we silently walked to her bed. He gently placed a hand on his arm, sitting in the space next to her. She awoke and Arnav smiled at her, "A very happy birthday di."

There was confusion on her face when she woke up, but hearing his wish, a huge smile spread on her lips. She sat up and hugging him, "Thank you, chote."

I awed at the scene at first, and then cleared my throat, "Ahem, if I may, there's people waiting in line." Ofcourse, it was just me, not 'people', but being a little dramatic never hurt anyone. Anjali laughed while Arnav shifted back as I leaned over to hug her. "Happy birthday, di."

"Thank you, Khushi." She answered.

Parting, I held up the plate to Anjali's eyes that I was holding in my other hand, "Arnav mentioned you don't eat cake, so I made this."

Her eyes sparkled seeing the make-shift cake from fruits. It wasn't the most decorative thing out there, but it was something. "That's so sweet, Khushi. You didn't have to."

I smiled, "Ofcourse I did. It's your birthday." I forwarded the plate towards Arnav, for he had more of a right to feed his sister the first piece than I did. He suggested we feed her together. I was a bit surprised, but followed through. In the last week, Arnav might have been reluctant, but I wasn't going to let go of any slipping moment coming from him.

He seemed to be in a different mood. It must be that it was Anjali's birthday, and he was shedding any pretense layers he usually put up. "By the way, you have to scold Khushi, but you can do it tomorrow."

Anjali questioned, "What for?" but I already knew what he was taking about.

I beat him to an answer, "Nothing, don't listen to him. You - uh - you should sleep now. You must be tired. We'll go. Happy birthday again! And good night." I shuffled, getting up as I rambled and pulled Arnav up as well by grabbing his arm.

As if to tease me, he opened his mouth but I had already pushed him out of the door by then. As I closed the door, I could hear Anjali laughing inside.

I turned to glare at him, "I'm thinking you don't value your life."

He answered with a smirk, taking a piece for himself from the plate and left for his room. I quickly went to the kitchen to place the plate in the sink before making my way to his room. Given his mood, I thought I'd be able to talk to him about tomorrow and the party he was hosting in the evening for Anjali's birthday. I had learnt the employees from the office would be attending, but none of them knew I lived here, or that I was his fiancé.

His room was dimly lit with the only light coming from the lamps. As soon as I looked up straight, I covered my eyes with my palm. I scolded, "You really need to learn to change in the washroom."

I could hear the smirk in his tone, "I have only taken my shirt off. Not my..."

I cut him off, holding up my free hand. "Not another word, Raizada." I heard him chuckle and move about. Then, I felt him nearing me, but I didn't know if he had put his shirt back on or not. My eyes remained shut. In return, he gave me another shock in the form of his lips pressing over my knuckles. My entire form stiffened at the unanticipated gesture.